Jul 1, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Then came this tweet Monday from Watson.
Nothing is official until ink stains the paper on July 10 (the first day contracts can be signed) but the Pacers have picked up a quality reserve point guard. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld had been all over this and said this is a two-year deal for more than the league minimum.
This is a fantastic fit. The Pacers had a powerful starting five with George Hill running the point for Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but there was a dramatic drop off to their bench. Plus, there were moments they needed a more traditional point guard for matchup reasons.
Watson is not a consistently elite point but he had some great games a couple seasons ago when Derrick Rose spent part of the season injured and Watson had to step in. Watson is a solid playmaker who shot 41.1 percent from three last season.
This is a big upgrade over D.J. Augustin without paying a lot.
The Pacers just got better.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40