Jul 1, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Then came this tweet Monday from Watson.
Keep up with the pace!!!! 👀👌✔—
cj watson (@quietstorm_32) July 01, 2013
Nothing is official until ink stains the paper on July 10 (the first day contracts can be signed) but the Pacers have picked up a quality reserve point guard. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld had been all over this and said this is a two-year deal for more than the league minimum.
This is a fantastic fit. The Pacers had a powerful starting five with George Hill running the point for Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but there was a dramatic drop off to their bench. Plus, there were moments they needed a more traditional point guard for matchup reasons.
Watson is not a consistently elite point but he had some great games a couple seasons ago when Derrick Rose spent part of the season injured and Watson had to step in. Watson is a solid playmaker who shot 41.1 percent from three last season.
This is a big upgrade over D.J. Augustin without paying a lot.
The Pacers just got better.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19