Jul 1, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Then came this tweet Monday from Watson.
Keep up with the pace!!!! 👀👌✔—
cj watson (@quietstorm_32) July 01, 2013
Nothing is official until ink stains the paper on July 10 (the first day contracts can be signed) but the Pacers have picked up a quality reserve point guard. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld had been all over this and said this is a two-year deal for more than the league minimum.
This is a fantastic fit. The Pacers had a powerful starting five with George Hill running the point for Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but there was a dramatic drop off to their bench. Plus, there were moments they needed a more traditional point guard for matchup reasons.
Watson is not a consistently elite point but he had some great games a couple seasons ago when Derrick Rose spent part of the season injured and Watson had to step in. Watson is a solid playmaker who shot 41.1 percent from three last season.
This is a big upgrade over D.J. Augustin without paying a lot.
The Pacers just got better.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 8
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 2
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 7
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 16