Jul 1, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Then came this tweet Monday from Watson.
Nothing is official until ink stains the paper on July 10 (the first day contracts can be signed) but the Pacers have picked up a quality reserve point guard. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld had been all over this and said this is a two-year deal for more than the league minimum.
This is a fantastic fit. The Pacers had a powerful starting five with George Hill running the point for Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but there was a dramatic drop off to their bench. Plus, there were moments they needed a more traditional point guard for matchup reasons.
Watson is not a consistently elite point but he had some great games a couple seasons ago when Derrick Rose spent part of the season injured and Watson had to step in. Watson is a solid playmaker who shot 41.1 percent from three last season.
This is a big upgrade over D.J. Augustin without paying a lot.
The Pacers just got better.
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 0
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 9
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 43
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 22
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4