Jul 1, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Then came this tweet Monday from Watson.
Keep up with the pace!!!! 👀👌✔—
cj watson (@quietstorm_32) July 01, 2013
Nothing is official until ink stains the paper on July 10 (the first day contracts can be signed) but the Pacers have picked up a quality reserve point guard. Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld had been all over this and said this is a two-year deal for more than the league minimum.
This is a fantastic fit. The Pacers had a powerful starting five with George Hill running the point for Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but there was a dramatic drop off to their bench. Plus, there were moments they needed a more traditional point guard for matchup reasons.
Watson is not a consistently elite point but he had some great games a couple seasons ago when Derrick Rose spent part of the season injured and Watson had to step in. Watson is a solid playmaker who shot 41.1 percent from three last season.
This is a big upgrade over D.J. Augustin without paying a lot.
The Pacers just got better.
- Memphis’ defense, discipline propel them past Thunder in overtime lead series 2-1 0
- Hawks take a 2-1 series lead over top-seeded Pacers 13
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 44
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 49
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 11