Jul 1, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
Just 14 players have ranked in the top 25 for PER in each of the last two seasons: LeBron James, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant, Brandan Wright, Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry.
The 13 highest-paid members of that group, even when weighed down by Irving’s and Curry’s rookie contracts, made more than $13.8 million per season in that span.
Player No. 14, Wright, made the league minimum each year – $915,852 and
According to a source, the Mavs, Atlanta Hawks, Orlando Magic, Detroit Pistons, Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks all expressed interest in Wright during the opening hours of free agency.
Credit Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks for helping to revitalize the career of Wright, the No. 8 pick in the 2007 draft who appeared headed out of the league before Dallas signed him. Carlisle put Wright in position to do only what he does best: finish near the rim and block shots without being in position for offensive players to take advantage of his slender frame.
But that’s also the reason Wright won’t approach his PER peers in salary. Wright hasn’t shown he can do much more than fill a role similar to the one Dallas gave him. Although Wright fills that role very well, those extremely high salaries are reserved for players who can take on more.
Wright has done a great job of putting himself in a position of strength this summer, but that strength is relative to his bargain-bin salary the last two years.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1