Jul 1, 2013, 11:41 AM EST
Just 14 players have ranked in the top 25 for PER in each of the last two seasons: LeBron James, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant, Brandan Wright, Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry.
The 13 highest-paid members of that group, even when weighed down by Irving’s and Curry’s rookie contracts, made more than $13.8 million per season in that span.
Player No. 14, Wright, made the league minimum each year – $915,852 and
According to a source, the Mavs, Atlanta Hawks, Orlando Magic, Detroit Pistons, Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks all expressed interest in Wright during the opening hours of free agency.
Credit Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks for helping to revitalize the career of Wright, the No. 8 pick in the 2007 draft who appeared headed out of the league before Dallas signed him. Carlisle put Wright in position to do only what he does best: finish near the rim and block shots without being in position for offensive players to take advantage of his slender frame.
But that’s also the reason Wright won’t approach his PER peers in salary. Wright hasn’t shown he can do much more than fill a role similar to the one Dallas gave him. Although Wright fills that role very well, those extremely high salaries are reserved for players who can take on more.
Wright has done a great job of putting himself in a position of strength this summer, but that strength is relative to his bargain-bin salary the last two years.
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 4
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 47
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 16
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8