Report: Kevin Martin to draw interest from Thunder, Bucks, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Pistons
Jun 30, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
The only players to average more points per minute on a higher effective field-goal percentage than Kevin Martin last season were LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Obviously LeBron and Durant bring much more to the table as all-around players, but as a scorer, Martin was elite.
Even as we better understand that a good scorer must produce in efficiency and volume, scoring remain an eye-catching contribution. That’s why Martin, who will become a free agent in an hour, has so many suitors.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
If the Thunder let Martin walk, their return for James Harden would look pretty paltry. Jeremy Lamb struggled to get off the bench last season, and the Raptors outperformed expectations, making their first-round pick sent by Houston less appealing. It was used on Steven Adams, a huge project who didn’t do much at Pittsburgh last season.
Smart teams don’t let these sunk costs affect their decision-making, and the Thunder are a smart team. So, they could let Martin go if the cost gets high.
But to all the teams pursuing him, shouldn’t that indicate something if the Thunder aren’t outbidding you? Martin, who’s slightly older than Andre Iguodala, faces many of the same age concerns, though, as a jump shooter, Martin seems better positioned to remain a high-level player for longer.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13