Report: Kevin Martin to draw interest from Thunder, Bucks, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Pistons
Jun 30, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
The only players to average more points per minute on a higher effective field-goal percentage than Kevin Martin last season were LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Obviously LeBron and Durant bring much more to the table as all-around players, but as a scorer, Martin was elite.
Even as we better understand that a good scorer must produce in efficiency and volume, scoring remain an eye-catching contribution. That’s why Martin, who will become a free agent in an hour, has so many suitors.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
If the Thunder let Martin walk, their return for James Harden would look pretty paltry. Jeremy Lamb struggled to get off the bench last season, and the Raptors outperformed expectations, making their first-round pick sent by Houston less appealing. It was used on Steven Adams, a huge project who didn’t do much at Pittsburgh last season.
Smart teams don’t let these sunk costs affect their decision-making, and the Thunder are a smart team. So, they could let Martin go if the cost gets high.
But to all the teams pursuing him, shouldn’t that indicate something if the Thunder aren’t outbidding you? Martin, who’s slightly older than Andre Iguodala, faces many of the same age concerns, though, as a jump shooter, Martin seems better positioned to remain a high-level player for longer.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18