Jun 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
The Rockets are first in line to meet with Dwight Howard once free agency commences at midnight Eastern, but that doesn’t mean other teams aren’t going to let their wishes be known where Howard is concerned
While no contact with free agents is allowed by teams until 12:01 a.m. on July 1, that doesn’t extend to those with no formal employment relationship to a given franchise, even though we may be well aware of where this individual’s particular sympathies lie.
Phil Jackson reached out to Howard via Twitter early Sunday, and although he didn’t mention the Lakers specifically, his message to the free agent big man was unmistakable.
@dwighthoward “i’m going up to the country going to paint my mailbox blue.” While i’m there I expect to see you get on board tis ur place
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) June 30, 2013
Jackson is currently spending time in his second home in Montana, and won’t be present for the Lakers meeting with Howard this week — thus the quote from this song in the first line of his message.
Again, Jackson is not connected to the team in any official capacity. But the fact that the Hall of Fame coach reached out with some fatherly advice to Howard can only be seen as a positive in the Lakers’ overall recruiting pitch to get Howard to stay in Los Angeles.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46