Jun 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Rockets are first in line to meet with Dwight Howard once free agency commences at midnight Eastern, but that doesn’t mean other teams aren’t going to let their wishes be known where Howard is concerned
While no contact with free agents is allowed by teams until 12:01 a.m. on July 1, that doesn’t extend to those with no formal employment relationship to a given franchise, even though we may be well aware of where this individual’s particular sympathies lie.
Phil Jackson reached out to Howard via Twitter early Sunday, and although he didn’t mention the Lakers specifically, his message to the free agent big man was unmistakable.
@dwighthoward “i’m going up to the country going to paint my mailbox blue.” While i’m there I expect to see you get on board tis ur place
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) June 30, 2013
Jackson is currently spending time in his second home in Montana, and won’t be present for the Lakers meeting with Howard this week — thus the quote from this song in the first line of his message.
Again, Jackson is not connected to the team in any official capacity. But the fact that the Hall of Fame coach reached out with some fatherly advice to Howard can only be seen as a positive in the Lakers’ overall recruiting pitch to get Howard to stay in Los Angeles.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 18
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 66
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30