Jun 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Rockets are first in line to meet with Dwight Howard once free agency commences at midnight Eastern, but that doesn’t mean other teams aren’t going to let their wishes be known where Howard is concerned
While no contact with free agents is allowed by teams until 12:01 a.m. on July 1, that doesn’t extend to those with no formal employment relationship to a given franchise, even though we may be well aware of where this individual’s particular sympathies lie.
Phil Jackson reached out to Howard via Twitter early Sunday, and although he didn’t mention the Lakers specifically, his message to the free agent big man was unmistakable.
@dwighthoward “i’m going up to the country going to paint my mailbox blue.” While i’m there I expect to see you get on board tis ur place
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) June 30, 2013
Jackson is currently spending time in his second home in Montana, and won’t be present for the Lakers meeting with Howard this week — thus the quote from this song in the first line of his message.
Again, Jackson is not connected to the team in any official capacity. But the fact that the Hall of Fame coach reached out with some fatherly advice to Howard can only be seen as a positive in the Lakers’ overall recruiting pitch to get Howard to stay in Los Angeles.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 10
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68