Jun 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Rockets are first in line to meet with Dwight Howard once free agency commences at midnight Eastern, but that doesn’t mean other teams aren’t going to let their wishes be known where Howard is concerned
While no contact with free agents is allowed by teams until 12:01 a.m. on July 1, that doesn’t extend to those with no formal employment relationship to a given franchise, even though we may be well aware of where this individual’s particular sympathies lie.
Phil Jackson reached out to Howard via Twitter early Sunday, and although he didn’t mention the Lakers specifically, his message to the free agent big man was unmistakable.
@dwighthoward “i’m going up to the country going to paint my mailbox blue.” While i’m there I expect to see you get on board tis ur place
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) June 30, 2013
Jackson is currently spending time in his second home in Montana, and won’t be present for the Lakers meeting with Howard this week — thus the quote from this song in the first line of his message.
Again, Jackson is not connected to the team in any official capacity. But the fact that the Hall of Fame coach reached out with some fatherly advice to Howard can only be seen as a positive in the Lakers’ overall recruiting pitch to get Howard to stay in Los Angeles.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6