Jun 30, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
As free agency in the NBA gets set to open at midnight Eastern, one of the top names has taken himself off the market — not that it comes as any surprise.
Paul’s representatives have told teams “not to even bother pursuing” the All-Star point guard, because, as has been believed to be the case all along, he is going to sign a max contract to stay in Los Angeles.
The Clippers did their best to botch things where Paul was concerned, but in the end, the moves they pulled off ultimately made Paul’s decision to stay an easy one.
When L.A. parted ways with head coach Vinny Del Negro, it was leaked from within the organization by ownership that Paul was the one who had made the call in one way or another, and Del Negro himself hinted at the same.
This had Paul reportedly angry that he was taking the fall for the team letting a coach go that led the club to a franchise-record 56 regular season wins, so the Clippers had to publicly respond to the report, absolving Paul of any involvement.
Despite all of that, the bold move the Clippers made by replacing Del Negro with Doc Rivers was big-time, and solidified the organization’s commitment to winning in Paul’s eyes.
Assuming Paul signs for the max, he’ll receive a five-year deal from the Clippers worth in the neighborhood of $107 million.
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 1
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 10
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 26
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 56
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (45)