Jun 30, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
When a report surfaced a few days ago that had LaMarcus Aldridge unhappy in Portland and potentially wanting out, the impending denial from Aldridge that was almost certainly on the way was completely expected.
With no leverage to force a trade out of town, and with Aldridge being one of the team’s two cornerstones along with Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard, there was no way that the Blazers would succumb to any demands to trade Aldridge to another team for pennies on the dollar.
The denial came on Saturday, when Aldridge came out and said that he hasn’t demanded a trade form the Blazers.
In an e-mail to The Oregonian, Aldridge said he has not asked to be traded and expressed tempered enthusiasm about the Blazers’ prospects in free agency, which opens July 1.
“I haven’t demanded a trade,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
“I’m looking forward to who we sign in free agency to make us better,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
Obviously, none of what Aldridge said here means that he’s actually happy in Portland. But he wanted to quell the rumors that he was asking out, and did so successfully with this correspondence.
Aldridge has two years left on a contract that will pay him in excess of $14 million and $15 million in each of the following seasons. There are teams out there that would love to have a chance at prying him from the Blazers, but Portland seems intent on building around their All-Star forward, and Aldridge, based on this acknowledgement of public perception, likely realized it.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13