Jun 30, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
When a report surfaced a few days ago that had LaMarcus Aldridge unhappy in Portland and potentially wanting out, the impending denial from Aldridge that was almost certainly on the way was completely expected.
With no leverage to force a trade out of town, and with Aldridge being one of the team’s two cornerstones along with Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard, there was no way that the Blazers would succumb to any demands to trade Aldridge to another team for pennies on the dollar.
The denial came on Saturday, when Aldridge came out and said that he hasn’t demanded a trade form the Blazers.
In an e-mail to The Oregonian, Aldridge said he has not asked to be traded and expressed tempered enthusiasm about the Blazers’ prospects in free agency, which opens July 1.
“I haven’t demanded a trade,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
“I’m looking forward to who we sign in free agency to make us better,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
Obviously, none of what Aldridge said here means that he’s actually happy in Portland. But he wanted to quell the rumors that he was asking out, and did so successfully with this correspondence.
Aldridge has two years left on a contract that will pay him in excess of $14 million and $15 million in each of the following seasons. There are teams out there that would love to have a chance at prying him from the Blazers, but Portland seems intent on building around their All-Star forward, and Aldridge, based on this acknowledgement of public perception, likely realized it.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11