Jun 30, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
When a report surfaced a few days ago that had LaMarcus Aldridge unhappy in Portland and potentially wanting out, the impending denial from Aldridge that was almost certainly on the way was completely expected.
With no leverage to force a trade out of town, and with Aldridge being one of the team’s two cornerstones along with Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard, there was no way that the Blazers would succumb to any demands to trade Aldridge to another team for pennies on the dollar.
The denial came on Saturday, when Aldridge came out and said that he hasn’t demanded a trade form the Blazers.
In an e-mail to The Oregonian, Aldridge said he has not asked to be traded and expressed tempered enthusiasm about the Blazers’ prospects in free agency, which opens July 1.
“I haven’t demanded a trade,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
“I’m looking forward to who we sign in free agency to make us better,” Aldridge said in the e-mail.
Obviously, none of what Aldridge said here means that he’s actually happy in Portland. But he wanted to quell the rumors that he was asking out, and did so successfully with this correspondence.
Aldridge has two years left on a contract that will pay him in excess of $14 million and $15 million in each of the following seasons. There are teams out there that would love to have a chance at prying him from the Blazers, but Portland seems intent on building around their All-Star forward, and Aldridge, based on this acknowledgement of public perception, likely realized it.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 1
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)