Kobe Bryant to be a part of Lakers presentation to Dwight Howard

Jun 30, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard AP

Just like the Rockets and the Mavericks, who have free agent meetings scheduled with Dwight Howard and will bring out their respective team’s best players, the Lakers are planning to do the same.

Kobe Bryant will be a part of the Lakers presentation to Howard, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

In addition to Bryant, members of the Buss family (which owns the team), along with GM Mitch Kupchak and possibly even head coach Mike D’Antoni are all expected to be in attendance when L.A. makes its final pitch to try to get Howard to re-sign with the Lakers.

Including Bryant in any meeting with Howard is a must, because unlike Houston and Dallas where Howard has no personal experience, the Lakers are the team he played with for a full season. The relationship with Bryant was frigid at times, though the two seemed to have come to an understanding as the season progressed.

It’s important for Bryant to be there to assuage any of Howard’s trepidation, and answer any questions that may still linger in Howard’s mind about what a future with the Lakers franchise might actually look like.

1. buffalowned - Jun 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Interesting..Kobe is probably one of the main reasons he doesn’t want to stay

• anhdazman - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I was thinking about that. Also for the fact DH12 doesn’t like D’Antoni as the coach. 2 strikes just like that.

• melkipershero - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Looks like 2 Lakers fans cant handle the truth.

• truthcampaign3 - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

That’s awesome.

2. khmerson562 - Jun 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Kobe is going to tell diva 12 that Dwight is going to be the third option and then Dwight punch Kobe in the face right there.

3. melkipershero - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Kobe – Dwight. The Lakers are about winning it all. Nothing else matters
    Dwight – …..Icecream
    Kobe – To win you need bigs.
    Dwight – ……Sprinkles
    Kobe – Do you have what it takes Dwight?
    Dwight – Hot fudge. Yumm
    Dwight – (thinking) Hell just shoot anyway. Wheres DQ from here?

• Nostrils10 - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM

dork

• melkipershero - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM

For sure.

This is probably how Dwights mind works though.

• 1historian - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

good one

4. elcapitanfiscal - Jun 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Kobe, “come on dwight, i promise ill pass it to you!”

5. kb2408 - Jun 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

How is it that some numbskull who has never been anywhere in the vicinity of Dwight can make the assumption that he doesn’t like Kobe? News flash: EVERYTHING YOU HEAR OR READ IN THE MEDIA IS NOT ALWAYS FACTUAL! Idiots.

• kamakiriad - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Because Shaq didn’t like Kobe…and Fox…and Metta, and Nash.

No—one—likes…Kobe.

Kobe is great. He is so great, he has managed to win championships while mostly ignoring his teammates. Kobe plays hard. He defends. He scores prodigiously.

The problem is, Kobe has never learned to play on a team. It has always been one man against five. That is Kobe’s ego. It always will be. Had Kobe been less shelfish and had a team-first mentality like Jordan or Duncan, he probably would have 3-4 more championship rings.

So, yes, he is great. Yes, he is a winner. But his greatest enemy is himself.

Howard knows that. He knows he will never be the man in Los Angeles as long as Kobe refuses to leave or retire. He knows when things go bad Kobe will throw him under the bus, (like last season) and that Kobe thinks his feces is unscented.

So we KNOW Dwight doesn’t like Kobe because NO ONE likes Kobe.

6. patfic15 - Jun 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Man. How could I have hated Lebron so much with this guy around?

7. seattlenative57 - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Dwight doesn’t have the attitude or personality to succeed in LA. Kobe knows this as does the Laker front office. Their best play is to involve another team in a sign-and-trade deal or risk Howard bolting to another team (likely Houston) leaving millions on the table. The Lakers know if Dwight leaves and they get nothing in return, they’ll look foolish. And Kobe and company hate looking foolish.

• melkipershero - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM

He can sign the same deal outright as he can in a sign and trade. No reason for him to do asign and trade.

The Lakers already look foolish. See: D’Antoni, Mike

• Anoesis - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The Lakers gave up Andrew Bynum, Josh Roberts, and Christian Eyenga. If Howard walks away the Lakers won’t have lost anything except Howard.

8. mrrooch - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM

LA is in disarray. Old (Kobe, Artest, Pau). Kobe not back till December…maybe. Wrong system, wrong coach. And when it goes south, it’ll be blamed on Dwight. Not a fan of DH at all. He’ll probably earn the blame. But all this crap about staying in LA cause its LA, is a joke. The fans will never accept him, this isn’t his town. Dallas, Houston, Warriors are a better fit. Get out of LA Dwight. Run.

• Anoesis - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Upon his debut in L.A. after the trade Howard had the following to say:

“I want to bring my own flavor to L.A. I saw a picture last night. It was like the Mount Rushmore (of Lakers centers) and they had all those guys up there and said, ‘Will he join the list of heads with the Lakers greats.’ I want to be great in my own right. I want to write my own history and today is the first day of that history.”

“It’s kind of unreal,” Howard said. “It finally happened. It’s here. Just walking around upstairs and driving here … I’m really a part of the Lakers. It hasn’t really hit me yet. I’m just happy to be here and I’m going to make the best out of it.”

“I want to be a great leader and I have an opportunity to learn from the best in Kobe on how to lead a team,” Howard said. “In order to be a great leader, you have to learn how to follow. I’m looking forward to following in the steps of Kobe Bryant in how he leads a team and Steve Nash and Pau. I’m looking forward to learning a lot from those guys because one day I want to be the guy that leads the team to a championship and this is a perfect time to start.”

On his back-surgery rehab:
      “Sitting down in the hotel for four months is very tough for somebody like myself,” Howard said. “I really appreciate things more now than I did before the surgery. I’m just happy to be here in L.A. I’ve been here for four months, and it’s been home for me. It’s been great. I started off walking around Beverly Hills and every day I had this one lady who would always come and say, ‘Come to the Lakers! Come to the Lakers!’ If she’s watching, I’m here.”

“This has been a tough summer but it’s finally over,” Howard said. “I’m looking forward to starting fresh here today and making history here for myself and the organization. Thank you for putting up with me during this time. It’s going to be better.”

Doesn’t sound like someone who’s ready to bolt, but it’s Howard so who really knows. I do find all the hoopla regarding Howard possibly signing with Houston as rather interesting. Howard’s original choices in any trade from Orlando were New Jersey, L.A., and Dallas. We shall see in the next few days.

• scalfor3 - Jul 1, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Yes, that quote is from last summer. You know, before he was miserable all season long.

Also, you think Houston might be a more appealing destination now that they have that Harden guy? I’d say so.

9. khmerson562 - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Sign and trade Dwight to the warriors for klay Thomson, Barnes and bogut. Good for both teams.

• patfic15 - Jun 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Warriors need to stay together. No Thunder-esque mistakes.

10. Anoesis - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

If nothing else Howard is certainly getting the attention he craves.

11. rushbacker - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

So, Kobe, D’Antoni and Fredo Buss are the recruiting team? Yea, he’s gone.

12. kamakiriad - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Dwight: You threw me under the bus last year when I was injured Kobe. You didn’t pass.You often refused to talk to me or make me feel welcome after games.

Kobe: Yes, but if you stay here, I promise to keep doing all those things, and win myself a championship! Come on Dwight, doesn’t that sound great? You can be one of the pieces to my championship puzzle.

Dwight: But, if I go to Denver, or Houston, I can win MYSELF a championshipo, and my teammates will treat me with respect.

Kobe: True, but then I wouldn’t have as great of a season, and I would have to blame Steve Nash for our failures. Do you want me to NOT make the playoffs or win a last championship? What kind of team-player is that man? Stop being shelfish. re-sign with us and be a decent guy and feet me the ball.

Dwight: You do know you are siupposed to be trying to convince me to stay right?

Kobe: I am convincing you to stay. If I don’t win a championship next season it will be YOUR fault unless you re-sigh with me, I mean us. Do you really want to be the guy that prevented Kobe from getting another championship? Can you live with that? Man up and join me, er, us.

Dwight: Right, I’m out. Y’all take care. Going to see how much money Mark Cuban will give me.

Kobe: See! I knew you were a quitter! Selfish, lazy quitter! How dare you ignore the opportunity to be my number two!!!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches