Jun 30, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Just like the Rockets and the Mavericks, who have free agent meetings scheduled with Dwight Howard and will bring out their respective team’s best players, the Lakers are planning to do the same.
In addition to Bryant, members of the Buss family (which owns the team), along with GM Mitch Kupchak and possibly even head coach Mike D’Antoni are all expected to be in attendance when L.A. makes its final pitch to try to get Howard to re-sign with the Lakers.
Including Bryant in any meeting with Howard is a must, because unlike Houston and Dallas where Howard has no personal experience, the Lakers are the team he played with for a full season. The relationship with Bryant was frigid at times, though the two seemed to have come to an understanding as the season progressed.
It’s important for Bryant to be there to assuage any of Howard’s trepidation, and answer any questions that may still linger in Howard’s mind about what a future with the Lakers franchise might actually look like.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16