Jun 30, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Just like the Rockets and the Mavericks, who have free agent meetings scheduled with Dwight Howard and will bring out their respective team’s best players, the Lakers are planning to do the same.
In addition to Bryant, members of the Buss family (which owns the team), along with GM Mitch Kupchak and possibly even head coach Mike D’Antoni are all expected to be in attendance when L.A. makes its final pitch to try to get Howard to re-sign with the Lakers.
Including Bryant in any meeting with Howard is a must, because unlike Houston and Dallas where Howard has no personal experience, the Lakers are the team he played with for a full season. The relationship with Bryant was frigid at times, though the two seemed to have come to an understanding as the season progressed.
It’s important for Bryant to be there to assuage any of Howard’s trepidation, and answer any questions that may still linger in Howard’s mind about what a future with the Lakers franchise might actually look like.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 13
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 3
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 25
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 27
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 25