Jun 30, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Just like the Rockets and the Mavericks, who have free agent meetings scheduled with Dwight Howard and will bring out their respective team’s best players, the Lakers are planning to do the same.
In addition to Bryant, members of the Buss family (which owns the team), along with GM Mitch Kupchak and possibly even head coach Mike D’Antoni are all expected to be in attendance when L.A. makes its final pitch to try to get Howard to re-sign with the Lakers.
Including Bryant in any meeting with Howard is a must, because unlike Houston and Dallas where Howard has no personal experience, the Lakers are the team he played with for a full season. The relationship with Bryant was frigid at times, though the two seemed to have come to an understanding as the season progressed.
It’s important for Bryant to be there to assuage any of Howard’s trepidation, and answer any questions that may still linger in Howard’s mind about what a future with the Lakers franchise might actually look like.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 6
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9