Jun 30, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
11:30 a.m. The Raptors became the latest team to engage the Clippers in trade talks for the young and dynamic Eric Bledsoe, but L.A. might not be interested in dealing him for what Toronto has to offer.
And with Doc Rivers now in the fold running basketball operations, he might want some time to evaluate Bledsoe further before trading him at all.
The talks between the two teams may not be completely fruitless, as the Clippers reportedly have some interest in Andrea Bargnani — just not at the asking price of Bledsoe.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
So one possible outcome to the Clippers-Raptors talks, sources said, is a smaller trade headlined by Bargnani going to L.A. in exchange for Caron Butler, enabling the Clippers to save Bledsoe for a bigger trade — or, perhaps, keeping him if Rivers holds firm.
The Clippers would be the first team actually interested in taking Bargnani off of Toronto’s hands, who has two years and $23 million left on his contract. But Bargnani has some value as a big man who can step out and shoot it, as long as he can stay on the floor — he’s been limited to just 66 total games over the last two seasons due to injury.
The Raptors would likely jump at the chance to rid themselves of Bargnani’s contract, even if Bledsoe is taken off the table. The team has been haunted by taking him with the number one overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft, and dealing him would help new GM Masai Ujiri give the franchise a much-needed fresh start.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18