Jun 29, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Udonis Haslem has always been a key role player for the Miami Heat, and helped his team when called upon at various times during their run to a second straight NBA title.
Haslem’s biggest contribution of the postseason came in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers, when he finished 8-of-9 from the field with 16 points in a win that put Miami up three games to two in that series.
There wasn’t as much of a need for Haslem against the Spurs in the Finals, especially over the last two games of the series. He managed to play just two minutes in Game 7, and didn’t play at all in Game 6.
Part of that was due to Erik Spoelstra and the way he freely mixes up his lineups, but it also may have been due to an injury Haslem suffered that will require offseason surgery.
Heat forward Udonis Haslem played through much of the second half of Miami’s season with a torn right meniscus, and told The Associated Press that surgery will be required to repair the previously undisclosed injury.
“It forces me to be smart and take my time with recovery this summer,” said Haslem, who just completed his 10th NBA season, all with Miami. “Obviously, I don’t heal like I used to so I’ve got to be a lot smarter and this forces me to be smart. My body’s a little weary right now, a lot more weary than it was after last year.”
Haslem averaged 3.9 points and 5.4 rebounds in 18.9 minutes per game for the Heat during the regular season, and is the only Miami player along with Dwyane Wade to have experienced all three of the team’s championships.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48