Jun 29, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Udonis Haslem has always been a key role player for the Miami Heat, and helped his team when called upon at various times during their run to a second straight NBA title.
Haslem’s biggest contribution of the postseason came in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers, when he finished 8-of-9 from the field with 16 points in a win that put Miami up three games to two in that series.
There wasn’t as much of a need for Haslem against the Spurs in the Finals, especially over the last two games of the series. He managed to play just two minutes in Game 7, and didn’t play at all in Game 6.
Part of that was due to Erik Spoelstra and the way he freely mixes up his lineups, but it also may have been due to an injury Haslem suffered that will require offseason surgery.
Heat forward Udonis Haslem played through much of the second half of Miami’s season with a torn right meniscus, and told The Associated Press that surgery will be required to repair the previously undisclosed injury.
“It forces me to be smart and take my time with recovery this summer,” said Haslem, who just completed his 10th NBA season, all with Miami. “Obviously, I don’t heal like I used to so I’ve got to be a lot smarter and this forces me to be smart. My body’s a little weary right now, a lot more weary than it was after last year.”
Haslem averaged 3.9 points and 5.4 rebounds in 18.9 minutes per game for the Heat during the regular season, and is the only Miami player along with Dwyane Wade to have experienced all three of the team’s championships.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)