Jun 29, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Udonis Haslem has always been a key role player for the Miami Heat, and helped his team when called upon at various times during their run to a second straight NBA title.
Haslem’s biggest contribution of the postseason came in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers, when he finished 8-of-9 from the field with 16 points in a win that put Miami up three games to two in that series.
There wasn’t as much of a need for Haslem against the Spurs in the Finals, especially over the last two games of the series. He managed to play just two minutes in Game 7, and didn’t play at all in Game 6.
Part of that was due to Erik Spoelstra and the way he freely mixes up his lineups, but it also may have been due to an injury Haslem suffered that will require offseason surgery.
Heat forward Udonis Haslem played through much of the second half of Miami’s season with a torn right meniscus, and told The Associated Press that surgery will be required to repair the previously undisclosed injury.
“It forces me to be smart and take my time with recovery this summer,” said Haslem, who just completed his 10th NBA season, all with Miami. “Obviously, I don’t heal like I used to so I’ve got to be a lot smarter and this forces me to be smart. My body’s a little weary right now, a lot more weary than it was after last year.”
Haslem averaged 3.9 points and 5.4 rebounds in 18.9 minutes per game for the Heat during the regular season, and is the only Miami player along with Dwyane Wade to have experienced all three of the team’s championships.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16