Jun 29, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Once Chris Paul formally signs on the dotted line, it will not be long before Eric Bledsoe is moved. While Doc Rivers may wonder what a CP3/Bledsoe backcourt looks like, there are other holes on this roster and Bledsoe is a key trade piece to fill one.
We know the Clippers are talking to the Magic about a possible deal for Arron Afflalo (which would include Caron Butler) and maybe others. That would give the Clippers a strong defensive two guard who can space the floor with his shooting (filling a need) and it gives the Magic a Bledsoe/Victor Oladipo backcourt of the future.
Sources told ESPN.com that the talks between the Raptors and Clippers are still in the exploratory stage, but the Raptors’ interest in L.A.’s prized young point guard is said to be significant.
The Raptors have been openly shopping forward Andrea Bargnani for months and would try, sources say, to include Bargnani in any deal for Bledsoe, which wouldn’t necessarily dissuade the Clippers, given their longstanding need for a big man who can stretch the floor. But sources add that Toronto guard DeMar DeRozan is the Raptor most likely to tempt the Clippers, which falls in line with L.A.’s interest in Arron Afflalo in their Bledsoe talks with Orlando.
For the Raptors, DeRozan and Gay overlap — both are slashers with limited outside shots. I can see why they want to move DeRozan.
DeRozan makes some sense for the Clippers as Los Angeles needs an upgrade there, but he’s a slasher whose game is to attack the rim. The Clippers already have Chris Paul attacking the rim, Blake Griffin attacking the rim and DeAndre Jordan who shouldn’t stray too far from the rim. They need a guy who can space the floor and DeRozan is a career 23.9 percent from three, up to 28 percent last year. For the record, Afflalo is a career 38 percent from three.
If the Clippers are going to take on Bargnani, the Raptors are going to have to sweeten the pot. Considerably.
But the talk is out there, and you can bet more teams are going to try and get in on the Bledsoe sweepstakes starting Sunday.
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 12
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24