Jun 29, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Once Chris Paul formally signs on the dotted line, it will not be long before Eric Bledsoe is moved. While Doc Rivers may wonder what a CP3/Bledsoe backcourt looks like, there are other holes on this roster and Bledsoe is a key trade piece to fill one.
We know the Clippers are talking to the Magic about a possible deal for Arron Afflalo (which would include Caron Butler) and maybe others. That would give the Clippers a strong defensive two guard who can space the floor with his shooting (filling a need) and it gives the Magic a Bledsoe/Victor Oladipo backcourt of the future.
Sources told ESPN.com that the talks between the Raptors and Clippers are still in the exploratory stage, but the Raptors’ interest in L.A.’s prized young point guard is said to be significant.
The Raptors have been openly shopping forward Andrea Bargnani for months and would try, sources say, to include Bargnani in any deal for Bledsoe, which wouldn’t necessarily dissuade the Clippers, given their longstanding need for a big man who can stretch the floor. But sources add that Toronto guard DeMar DeRozan is the Raptor most likely to tempt the Clippers, which falls in line with L.A.’s interest in Arron Afflalo in their Bledsoe talks with Orlando.
For the Raptors, DeRozan and Gay overlap — both are slashers with limited outside shots. I can see why they want to move DeRozan.
DeRozan makes some sense for the Clippers as Los Angeles needs an upgrade there, but he’s a slasher whose game is to attack the rim. The Clippers already have Chris Paul attacking the rim, Blake Griffin attacking the rim and DeAndre Jordan who shouldn’t stray too far from the rim. They need a guy who can space the floor and DeRozan is a career 23.9 percent from three, up to 28 percent last year. For the record, Afflalo is a career 38 percent from three.
If the Clippers are going to take on Bargnani, the Raptors are going to have to sweeten the pot. Considerably.
But the talk is out there, and you can bet more teams are going to try and get in on the Bledsoe sweepstakes starting Sunday.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 0
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 2
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 5
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16