PBT Extra: Who won Boston/Brooklyn trade, talking Noel to Philly

Jun 29, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

Here is one last look a back at the draft that was in the NBA.

The big story of the night was actually the Nets/Celtics trade that sends Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to Brooklyn, and Kay Adams and I talk about why I like that for the Nets.

Also, I like what Philly did getting Nerlens Noel, they are taking steps back to take big steps forward.

1. ss3walkman - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

How funny would it be if NJ traded Pierce and KG to Clippers for Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and a piece or draft pics so they could be with Doc Rivers since the NBA wouldn’t approve a Boston and LA Clippers trade

• j0esixpack - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The Commish has already said he wouldn’t allow it -

but as I think about it, I think the Celts COULD have gotten Bledsoe and Jordan from the Clippers – but given Ainge’s clear approach to rebuilding a “win now” approach was not in the cards

Not only would Jordan and Bledsoe be wasted on the Celtics, they’d impede what I’m guessing is expected to be a lottery pick year by design looking at a very deep 2014 draft.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I just hope the 76ers are very careful about Noel throughout next season. The Sixers are far from a contender and there is no sense in having him out there prematurely with very little to gain and a whole lot to lose.

• biasedhomer - Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Pretty sure every Sixer fan wants the team to send out 5 Kwame Browns and try their luck with ping pong balls.

• iamhoraceknight - Jun 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I’ve been a Sixers fan since forever. Let The Kid(Noel) get Healthy and Gain Weight. I wouldn’t play him until January at the earliest.

3. htownred34 - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The nets won the the Brooklyn trade, but it wouldn’t have been that bad for Boston if it weren’t for Gerald Wallace’s contract. The sixers pelicans deal was good for the pelicans and could be good if the sixers tank and get wiggins.

• jacksonkane - Jun 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM

The draft picks are what alters this for me. This literally couldn’t be more of a ‘win now’ move. The Nets get two 35+ year old superstars who have no more than 2-3 years max of value left and send out 3 firsts… that’s tough.

4. tcclark - Jun 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I don’t like this trade for the Pelicans. Look, Greivis Vasquez averaged 14 points 9 assists and 4 boards for them last year at the point. Jrue Holiday was only marginally better and his PER was only .4 better. The Pelicans traded likely 2 lottery picks for a .4 upgrade. If anything, this trade puts them in the exact same place it had Philly – in the middle of the pack with little chances to get better.

5. seandconner - Jun 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

IMHO, I think Boston won this one. They got something for two aging but servicable stars (who, again to be honest, can’t beat the likes of Miami, Indiana, or Chicago anyways) instead of playing out the final few years of their careers and getting nothing for them. But, the deciding factor really has to be how Boston uses those draft picks. Maybe I can change my mind and call it a tie lol

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches