Jun 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
About 20 percent of the NBA at any given time is made up of guys who were not drafted. They went to Europe, they went to the D-League, they went where they had to that they could work on their game, become late bloomers and get to the Association.
Who were the best guys not drafted this time around? The guys with the talent to make it in time? There are a number of guys that could qualify, but here is my top 5:
• Phil Pressey (5’11” point guard, Missouri). He is a pass first point guard who had a strong sophomore season with shooters around him to set up; his junior year was tougher without efficient guys to finish around him. He is very quick with the ball, he is dangerous in transition and can attack off the pick-and-roll. But he is turnover prone and not an efficient scorer (he shot 37.6 percent last season). Also, his size leads to questions about his defense.
• C.J. Leslie (6’9” forward, North Caronia State). He’s long, athletic, quick, the kind of tools teams look for in a modern forward. He’s also very inconsistent (much like the Wolfpack) and he needs to add strength and some semblance of a post game. But this guy just seems too athletic not to get a second round pick and a shot.
• Myck Kabongo (6’3” point guard, Texas). A pure point guard, a great athlete with a quick first step who breaks down defenses then looks to set his teammates up first. He has a fantastic basketball IQ. He needs to work on his scoring — both finishing in the paint and his jumper — but the guy can play. He may have fallen short of his high expectations coming out of high school, but a number of teams could use a point guard as good as him.
• Jackie Carmichael (6’9” power forward, Illinois State). He has the body (a strong 241 pounds) and the athleticism of a genuine NBA four. He can rebound, he can defend in the paint, he finishes well at the rim and he plays smart. What scared teams off is he has a limited offensive game once you get him five feet from the rim. Also of concern is that seniors don’t have the same upside as younger players. But he can ball.
• Trevor Mbakwe (6’8” power forward, Minnesota). His great skill is rebounding, which is one thing that translates from the college to NBA games pretty well. He’s a good athlete with an NBA build and a real motor. He’s one of the older guys in the draft at 24 and he is very raw on the offensive end, which did him in, but energy guys can overcome some of those deficiencies.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?
Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns
Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
San Antonio guard says he won’t represent Argentina if he still feels pain
Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
The good news, he did not eat all the ice cream he wanted during his recovery from a tonsillectomy.
James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.”
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Rockets players certainly are giving Parsons plenty of bulletin board material.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT
Shannon Brown joins Metta World Peace and Lamar Odom
Jul 24, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Allen has already said an MRI comes first
Jul 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
We know how this movie is going to end, Donald Sterling will lose the Clippers, we just don’t know how we will get there yet.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Aminu, who replaces Rashard Lewis, will have player option
Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Houston’s other second rounder, Alessandro Gentile, to remain in Europe
Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
If you really want something and you can afford it, why not? But Ballmer overpaid big for the Clips.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Does this mean Boston will trade Rajon Rondo?
Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Sacramento reportedly plans to file waiver claim on Casspi
Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.
Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Good pickup to add some depth at the point, something Dallas needed unless you’re expecting a monster bounce-back season for Raymond Felton.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Is it better than the offer being put together by the Cavaliers?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
He was given community services, which he can complete in Dallas where he was traded.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 28
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23