Jun 28, 2013, 3:23 AM EST
NEW YORK – Shabazz Muhammad was once viewed as a potential No. 1 pick. Midway through his freshman year, not only did that possibility remain, it seemed he had also raised his floor to being a top-five pick.
But Muhammad’s fortunes, both personally and professionally, turned quickly. His 3-point shot betrayed him. His stated age was revealed to be inaccurate. His game was poked apart by scouts. His draft stock sunk. His father was arrested. His draft stock sunk some more.
Muhammad wasn’t even invited to the NBA Draft green room, the latest blow to someone who has been chastised for reasons both fair and unfair.
Through it all, green-room invite or not, Muhammad remained determined to come to the Barclays Center tonight and celebrate being drafted.
“I knew I was going to come here,” Muhammad said. “I figured I was going to be a lottery pick. Just to stay here and end up shaking – especially it was a big-time thing with Mr. Stern and Commissioner Stern, his last time here. That’s really special.”
In the end, Muhammad was right. He was drafted 14th by the Jazz (and traded to the Timberwolves) – not only making the lottery, but jumping ahead of Sergey Karasev, who was invited to the green room – and got his handshake with Stern.
Confirmation he was still a lottery talent? Absolutely.
The last laugh? Not yet.
“At the end of the day, I look at it, it’s what you do in the league,” Muhammad said. “You get drafted, it’s your first step. It’s what you do in the league.”
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 0
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15