Jun 28, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
One of the criticisms of the Celtics in their deal that will send Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Nets was that aside from the future first round picks, there wasn’t a lot of young talent immediately coming back in return.
Boston was set to receive Gerald Wallace (with three years and over $30 million left on his deal), Kris Humphries (whose expiring contract comes off the books after next season), Keith Bogans and Reggie Evans.
That’s great if you want to ensure you land in the lottery for the next couple of years, but none of those player are building blocks the franchise can develop into serviceable, long-term options.
A small change in the deal as constructed should help Boston out in that department.
Trade between the Nets and Celtics has been revised, with MarShon Brooks going to Boston now and Reggie Evans staying in Brooklyn.
Brooks is a dynamic talent with potential, but he’ll need minutes and an opportunity to develop in order to reach it.
In his rookie season with the Nets, Brooks averaged 12.6 points in 29.4 minutes per game, and started for the team in 47 contests. His minutes were greatly reduced last season to an average of 12.5 per game, and he struggled to find his niche on a much deeper Brooklyn squad.
A rebuilding situation is a good one for Brooks to be in to continue to hone his game. He appears to have a nice offensive skill set, and could quickly become a fan favorite on a youthful Celtics team if given the proper chance.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 4
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)