Jun 28, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
After their blockbuster trade with the Boston Celtics, the Brooklyn Nets are going to have to round out their roster with minimum-contract guys who can contribute a little on the court and fit in the locker room.
How about Jason Collins?
The first player in a major American team sport to come out as gay may have found a landing spot for next season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Collins, 34, has close relationships with new Nets coach Jason Kidd and top assistant Lawrence Frank. They were together for seven successful seasons with the Nets when Frank was a coach, Kidd was the point guard and Collins provided a physical, defensive presence.
There’s reason to believe that he’d have a strong comfort level returning to an organization that knows him well and values his tough, defensive-minded sensibilities.
In May, after the season ended, Collins went public with his sexuality in a Sports Illustrated piece.
Collins is a 12-year NBA veteran and a free agent. He was a member of the Celtics with Pierce and Garnett last season, but was shipped to Washington mid-season, something that reportedly didn’t sit well with Garnett.
What the Nets need is defense and to get tougher on the court — Garnett is certainly the key to that transformation. But Collins could help there in a limited role because physical defense is what he does best. And he’s a veteran respected in the locker room wherever he’s been.
This may or may not be come together, but there are limited landing spots for a guy of Collins age and skill set. This would be one of them.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37