Jun 28, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Mark Cuban has built an organization guys want to play for, and while he would share the spotlight with Dirk Nowitzki for a year or two Howard would be the alpha dog in Dallas. This would be his team; it would be rebuilt around him.
Nowitzki is already tampering… er, helping to recruit Howard to Dallas, he told the Star-Telegram.
“I reached out to him and told him we’d love to have him,” Nowitzki said. “It’s not like we call each other every day. I didn’t write him a letter. We just had a little phone contact. That’s about it….
“To me, when he’s healthy he’s the most dominant big man in the league,” Nowitzki said of Howard. “He’s shown that at the end of the season when he was right what he can still do.
“He can dominate on both ends of the floor if he feels healthy, he can still use his athleticism. He’s a beast on both ends of the floor.”
But sure Lakers fans, good riddance to him. He can easily be replaced, right?
Howard came back from back surgery too fast last season and wasn’t right, and that combined with the coaching change to a radically different philosophy, and the injuries to Steve Nash and eventually Kobe Bryant, doomed the Lakers season.
But Howard is still the best center in the game when healthy. He can be a force at both ends of the floor (although he needs to accept he should be used more in the pick-and-roll than the post). Wherever he lands that team is either a contender or on the cusp of it.
So the smart play is to have your star reach out and say he wants Howard on the team.
I’d rather predict the moods of a 14-year-old girl than what Dwight Howard wants to do in free agency or what he will say July 10. But Dallas is in the mix and Dirk helps that cause.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 26
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (66)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (41)