Jun 28, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Mark Cuban has built an organization guys want to play for, and while he would share the spotlight with Dirk Nowitzki for a year or two Howard would be the alpha dog in Dallas. This would be his team; it would be rebuilt around him.
Nowitzki is already tampering… er, helping to recruit Howard to Dallas, he told the Star-Telegram.
“I reached out to him and told him we’d love to have him,” Nowitzki said. “It’s not like we call each other every day. I didn’t write him a letter. We just had a little phone contact. That’s about it….
“To me, when he’s healthy he’s the most dominant big man in the league,” Nowitzki said of Howard. “He’s shown that at the end of the season when he was right what he can still do.
“He can dominate on both ends of the floor if he feels healthy, he can still use his athleticism. He’s a beast on both ends of the floor.”
But sure Lakers fans, good riddance to him. He can easily be replaced, right?
Howard came back from back surgery too fast last season and wasn’t right, and that combined with the coaching change to a radically different philosophy, and the injuries to Steve Nash and eventually Kobe Bryant, doomed the Lakers season.
But Howard is still the best center in the game when healthy. He can be a force at both ends of the floor (although he needs to accept he should be used more in the pick-and-roll than the post). Wherever he lands that team is either a contender or on the cusp of it.
So the smart play is to have your star reach out and say he wants Howard on the team.
I’d rather predict the moods of a 14-year-old girl than what Dwight Howard wants to do in free agency or what he will say July 10. But Dallas is in the mix and Dirk helps that cause.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 28
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)