Nerlens Noel and Michael Carter-Williams team back up with 76ers

Jun 28, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT

Nerlens Noel, Michael Carter-Williams, C.J. McCollum AP

NEW YORK – Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel have know each other a long time. A very long time.

“I knew him before the flat top,” Carter-Williams said. “We’ll say that.”

Now, the former AAU teammates with BABC in Boston, are teammates with the 76ers.

“It’s like a dream come true,” Carter-Williams said. “We always talked about how were both going to make it to the NBA. For us to end up on the same team is a blessing.”

They’ll provide length and athleticism and plenty of excitement, though their games both need a little refining. Carter-Williams must reduce his turnovers, and Noel could used more refined offensive moves.

But they’ll go through that process how they came up: together.

Noel, drafted by the Pelicans, initially said he was happy to play with Anthony Davis, the Kentucky one-and-done center who preceded Noel. Noel might be even more pleased to join Carter-Williams, who described their relationship as “best friends.”

Both met with the media before talking to each other – in fact, Noel spoke before Carter-Williams was even picked and learned of the trade in his press conference – but Carter-Williams showed he’s so in tune with Noel, they didn’t even need to see each other to know what the other was thinking.

“I know he’s happy as ever to play with me,” Carter-Williams said.

1. tcclark - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

the ny daily news, the Philadelphia Inquirer and even ESPN are reporting that Brett Brown will be the next coach of the Sixers. Where’s that story?

• Kurt Helin - Jun 28, 2013 at 4:43 AM

We have a story up on how the Sixers GM denied it.

2. money2long - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

stay focused. sometimes playing with friends can hurt.

3. somekat - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM

My opinion of the Sixers future over the next few years has increased 20 fold. With a little luck, they will get a 6-8 pick from New Orleans, and a top 3 pick from themselves (they are going to be a bad next year. This could bring in a potential stud, and another very solid player in a very deep draft. They would also get Turner, Hawes, and Brown off the books and get their salary down to about 25 million with the rookie deals. Keep Young as a 6th man, and I think you can get some top level talent to play with those guys, and have the space to do it.

Can you get LeBron? I doubt it, unless he decides he wants to totally cement his legacy by bringing a title to a once great franchise. But they could definitely bring in a few top level players to compliment these 2, the 2 picks next year, and Thad Young (who is still pretty young). In about 60 minutes I went from basically accepting that the sixers would be useless then next 5 years, to truly being excited about the youth movement. This could be a team flat out stacked with young talent 12 months from now

Hopefully they can move Hawes, Brown and Turner for some assets this year since they are expiring contracts. They should be able to get something, even if it’s a protected first round pick, will help replace the picks they owe orlando

• kelz1966kelz1966 - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

They got a protected 1-5 pick from NO…Plus their own next year to add to this rebuilding foundation.
      Going to be a tough year this season, but hopefully it pays off in a few years.

• lavoysboy - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Trading hawes and kwame for some assets? Who would want them on their team anyways.

I don’t think they needed to trade a 23 year old all-star point guard for potential. Noel had a torn ACL and also hurt his knee in high school too. I still think he could be a good player if healthy. And for some reason everyone thinks Carter-Williams can just come in and replace Jrue, really? Look at the track record of Syracuse players, only 2 have multiple all-star games under their belt. And MCW can’t shoot, if he is gonna drop dimes who is he passing the ball too? Evan Turner? Please, if you watch any ball you know he can’t shoot.

Isn’t there a way they could have rebuilded without trading jrue? If they wanted Noel that bad couldn’t we have traded up with the 11th pick and an asset (turner or thad) to get him? Everyone was looking to trade back anyways, so why not give up less to get a projected #1 overall pick? I know the Sixers wouldn’t get the first round pick next year that they hoped for though. If the 2014 draft class is that deep couldn’t they just have kept their regular first round pick and got another stud through the draft that way? We still would have kept jrue! Even if the pelicans wouldn’t take turner/thad, I can’t imagine another team (like the pistons) not taking one of them.

I just think there are other ways to rebuild without trading Jrue. And people are saying that we cleared cap space, and it is a positive. Well, that’s great but keep in mind Jrue’s contract is worth about 11 million a year and also keep in mind we have to sign MCW and Noel. Even with extra cap space, who would want to come and play for the Sixers with the state that they are in right now? Doesn’t make sense to me, but that is just my opinion.

4. sportsnut101 - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I like these picks plus they picked up first rd next yr with trade of Jrue holiday. Who’s good but phila not doing nothing next yr. the Bynum trade messed up that team

5. bifford - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Philly is just setting themselves up to tank next season for Wiggins. Not a terrible plan tbh.

6. conspiracygenerator - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

While I’m very excited about the direction the 76ers look to be headed as a result of last night’s draft moves, I feel like they came up one pick shy of having a potentially more explosive and exciting overall team. As soon as I heard Jrue was headed to the Pelicans for Noel, I REALLY wanted the 76ers to draft CJ McCollum out of Lehigh. Much to my dismay, he went one freaking pick earlier to the Blazers. And while I think Carter-Williams can become a solid player, the ability of McCollum off the dribble as well as his skills at creating his own shot are not only two attributes he has hands down over Carter-Williams, but they would have complemented Noel and the team much better in my opinion. The other sky-is-the-limit potential with McCollum is they type of individual he is. Educated, sharp, confident yet humble, and determined. Puts a TON of work into his craft and wants to be the best. Keep your eye on McCollum everyone…because when all is said and done, I think he’s going to have had one heck of an NBA career.

7. zetabeta5 - Jun 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

What is coming to the Sixers on offense? The biggest joy to fans has always been the alley oop and the dunk…Sixer-land will be Dunk City…..Also, with a big time shot blocker….MCW on the break….Dunk City…Fun! Fun! Fun!.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards