Jun 28, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Jerryd Bayless was a capable back-up at the guard spot for a Grizzlies team that reached the Western Conference Finals last season.
He had a player option of $3.1 million to return next year, but it was widely believed that he would choose to pursue unrestricted free agency instead.
Bayless, however, has decided to come back to Memphis.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
I’m told Grizzlies G Jerryd Bayless, in mild surprise, has elected to invoke $3.1 million player option for next season to stay in Memphis
It’s possible that Bayless was pleased with the direction the team will take under new head coach Dave Joerger, which may open up additional opportunities for him to succeed.
But more likely is that after his agent did some research, the market may not have been all that demanding where Bayless was concerned, so it made more sense to play things out for one more season with a winning team in order to try to boost his value as a free agent for the following summer.
Bayless averaged 8.7 points and 3.3 assists in 22.1 minutes per game for the Grizzlies last season.
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 0
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48