Jun 28, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
Jerryd Bayless was a capable back-up at the guard spot for a Grizzlies team that reached the Western Conference Finals last season.
He had a player option of $3.1 million to return next year, but it was widely believed that he would choose to pursue unrestricted free agency instead.
Bayless, however, has decided to come back to Memphis.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
I’m told Grizzlies G Jerryd Bayless, in mild surprise, has elected to invoke $3.1 million player option for next season to stay in Memphis
It’s possible that Bayless was pleased with the direction the team will take under new head coach Dave Joerger, which may open up additional opportunities for him to succeed.
But more likely is that after his agent did some research, the market may not have been all that demanding where Bayless was concerned, so it made more sense to play things out for one more season with a winning team in order to try to boost his value as a free agent for the following summer.
Bayless averaged 8.7 points and 3.3 assists in 22.1 minutes per game for the Grizzlies last season.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 9
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)