Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez

Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

Brooklyn Nets V Memphis Grizzlies Getty Images

Denver’s offer of J.J. Hickson and JaVale McGee isn’t enough for Brooklyn to pull the trigger — especially with Lopez coming off of a 35-point, 12-rebound performance against the Raptors.

2. Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together

Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Those two together at this stage of their careers are a poor fit together.

3. DeMarcus Cousins says he ‘didn’t expect’ to make the All-Star team

Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 PM EST

Toronto Raptors v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

It took Kobe Bryant being injured for Cousins to make the squad.

4. Anthony Davis out Friday night vs. Clippers due to abdominal strain

Jan 30, 2015, 6:56 PM EST

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

This is not a serious injury, but they will miss him defending Blake Griffin.

5. Rumor: Heat, Clippers, Cavaliers interested in Mo Williams

Jan 30, 2015, 5:59 PM EST

Mo Williams AP

All of those teams could use point guard depth.

6. Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game

Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“So if you see me diving on the floor and people say ‘what is he doing?’ I can’t help but be the player that I am.” —Jimmy Butler on playing in the All-Star Game

7. LeBron James reportedly asked Adam Silver for longer All-Star break, fewer back-to-backs

Jan 30, 2015, 2:09 PM EST

2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman Of The Year Award Presentation - Arrivals Getty Images

NBA Commissioner has delivered on All-Star Break. Back-to-backs next?

8. Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy

Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Will center stick with Mavericks this time?

9. Mike Dunleavy is smooooth

Jan 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Sliding into your DMs like…

10. DeMarcus Cousins wins.

Jan 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EST

Kings center waits five years, burns Clay Travis for tweet

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches