Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Pacers’ David West on Nuggets firing Brian Shaw: ‘That’s bullsh-t. No grownups on the roster.’

Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.

2. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

3. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

4. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

5. Kevin Garnett gets into it with Austin Rivers, double technicals issued (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Kevin Garnett, Bennett Salvatore AP

KG played for Doc Rivers on the Celtics’ 2008 title team, but wasn’t willing to take any grief from his son.

6. This is one serious basketball brawl from Spanish league (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Anadolu Efes Istanbul v Laboral Kutxa Vitoria - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Top 16 Getty Images

That had 10 times the punches of an NBA “fight.”

7. Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio had fun point guard battle Monday (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul

Ricky Rubio got the triple-double, CP3 will take the win.

8. Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

Goran Dragic Goran Dragic

Goran Dragic would have sat out with back pain against anyone else, but he dropped 21 on the Suns.

9. Zach LaVine was dunking all over the Clippers (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 1:14 AM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Zach LaVine can get up. But you already knew that.

10. Report: Blake Griffin “likely” to return sometime next week

Mar 2, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

Blake Griffin Blake Griffin

Griffin has missed the Clippers’ last 10 games.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches