Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5

Apr 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki, J.J. Barea Dirk Nowitzki, J.J. Barea

Houston needs to make adjustments to the new Dallas starting lineup.

2. Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series

Apr 28, 2015, 2:13 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Four Getty Images

Without Mike Conley to check him Damian Lillard ran free.

3. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time

Apr 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four

Washington’s averaged defender distance to the Toronto shooter was 3.55 feet, the closest defense any team played in the first round of the playoffs.

4. Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery

Apr 27, 2015, 7:58 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets- Game One Getty Images

The doctor will decide if microfracture is needed while doing a scope.

5. Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head

Apr 27, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

The Cavs will be without two starters for the first two games of next round.

6. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check

Apr 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

Davis was +35 when playing while Green sat, -55 while Green was on the court at the same time.

7. Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls)

Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Boston Celtics - Game Four Getty Images

He would have been key against the Bulls to help space the floor.

8. Quote of the Day: Kelly Olynyk on Cavaliers fans

Apr 27, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjymvhyzgwzgy5njixztvmzwrlzgzmymqxyza3ytg52 AP

Olynyk finds common ground with Clevelanders

9. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense

Apr 27, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

LeBron James, Gerald Wallace LeBron James, Gerald Wallace

Stats show Boston defended LeBron well, he just hit the shots anyway.

10. PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended?

Apr 27, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

I say Smith should get at least three games.

11. Grizzlies’ Mike Conley has surgery to repair face, likely 48 hours before timetable

Apr 27, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Mike Conley Mike Conley

They need the swelling to go down to get a sense of his return,

12. Report: Kevin Love seeks more medical opinions, may delay announcing timetable

Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT

Cavaliers gave him a chance to wait by sweeping Celtics

13. Two years removed from being a top recruit, Florida’s Chris Walker declares for NBA draft

Apr 27, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Tennessee v Florida Getty Images

What does Walker’s cratered draft stock say about Billy Donovan?

Boston defended LeBron well, it didn't matter
Top 10 NBA Player Searches