Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating

May 27, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

The Hawks had an exciting season, they filled an arena that in past years felt like a mausoleum, they played beautiful basketball for months at a time.

2. Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe”

May 27, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Free agents will still come to the Lakers, but their pool may be smaller than some other teams because of Kobe.

3. LeBron James: ‘I couldn’t foresee us being in The Finals at the beginning of the season’

May 27, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

Plenty has changed since LeBron re-joined the Cavaliers last summer.

4. Report: Nets to explore trade market for Mason Plumlee

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

The offers won’t be as strong as they were in December.

5. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak: ‘Anywhere from 4-8 players could be in consideration’ for No. 2 pick in NBA Draft

May 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Mitch Kupchak AP

Eight seems like too many, but Kupchak has proven that he knows what he’s doing.

6. PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston

May 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Curry and this Warriors team are not going to crumble like the Clippers did.

7. J.R. Smith takes selfie at podium after Cavaliers advance to Finals

May 27, 2015, 2:02 AM EDT

JR Smith Selfie

J.R. Smith on the national stage of the Finals is going to be so much fun.

8. Report: Hawks’ Paul Millsap may require offseason shoulder surgery

May 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Washington Wizards-Game Three Getty Images

Injury issues continue to pile up as Atlanta is on the verge of elimination.

9. Storms in Houston forced Dwight Howard to remain at arena with fans until 2:30AM after Game 4 win over Warriors

May 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Severe flooding in the area had fans — and at least one player — stranded.

Despite ending, Hawks had season to remember
Top 10 NBA Player Searches