Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio

Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Ricky Rubio AP

Rubio may not like it, but Minnesota can retain his rights in restricted free agency next summer.

2. Report: Gustavo Ayon’s deal with Real Madrid worth $6.6 million over three years

Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Australia v Mexico - 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Getty Images

Big man from Mexico preferred to remain in the NBA, but took the payday to return overseas.

3. Kobe Bryant may join ownership group attempting to purchase Italian soccer team

Sep 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Kobe Bryant

With two years left in the NBA, Bryant has an eye on life after basketball.

4. Taj Gibson says he’s fine coming off the bench for Bulls: ‘Please miss me with the drama’

Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Taj Gibson Taj Gibson

A previous report said Gibson was less than thrilled with remaining a reserve.

5. Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season

Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.

6. Giant LeBron James banner approved to hang in downtown Cleveland once again

Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

lebron-banner

10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.

7. Report: Ramon Sessions signs 2-year deal with Kings

Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Ramon Sessions AP

Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.

8. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

9. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

10. All PBT’s NBA team previews in one convenient spot

Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.

11. UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks

Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.

12. Jeff Green says he wants to be leader on Celtics this season

Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Jeff Green AP

“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green

13. James Dolan enlists Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire to break world kazoo record

Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

dolan stoudemire anthony kazoo

And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.

14. Hawks’ Budenholzer adjusting to coach/GM role, had mentor for many years in Popovich

Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Mike Budenholzer

Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches