Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Rockets signing draft picks Clint Capela, Nick Johnson

Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Houston’s other second rounder, Alessandro Gentile, to remain in Europe

2. Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at

Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT

Steve Ballmer Steve Ballmer

If you really want something and you can afford it, why not? But Ballmer overpaid big for the Clips.

3. Report: Ray Allen to get MRI on knees then decide future plans

Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?

4. Summer League in Las Vegas sets records for attendance, viewership

Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Wizards Warriors Basketball AP

Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.

5. Dante Exum knows his leap from high school games to Summer League was not smooth

Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

Dante Exum AP

Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.

6. Dwyane Wade says he was asked why he flops by a kid at his basketball camp (VIDEO)

Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.

7. Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks

Jul 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

Good pickup to add some depth at the point, something Dallas needed unless you’re expecting a monster bounce-back season for Raymond Felton.

8. Raymond Felton pleads guilty on gun charges, will avoid jail

Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Felton orange jersey Getty Images

He was given community services, which he can complete in Dallas where he was traded.

9. Rumor: Sixers have ‘strong interest’ in Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters

Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

dion waiters Getty Images

Waiters will continue to be rumored to be available until he proves he can fit in with Kyrie Irving.

10. Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery

Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Three Getty Images

Dallas was counting on him for bench depth and now will be looking to replace that help in a depleted market.

11. Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers

Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT

US forward Kevin Love dunks the ball aga US forward Kevin Love dunks the ball aga

Minnesota wants to dump some bad contracts as part of the deal, and Cleveland isn’t taking them.

12. Jerry Stackhouse has contacted Lionel Hollins about a coaching job with Nets

Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 2 Getty Images

Stackhouse coached against Hollins at adidas Eurocamp in Italy this summer.

13. LeBron James apparently remembers everything

Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

Miami Heat v San Antonio Spurs - Game Five Getty Images

LeBron has used more than just physical gifts to become all-time great NBA player

14. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar training Roy Hibbert

Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert

Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook

15. Five biggest surprises from Summer League

Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

D-League Select v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.

16. Report: Jameer Nelson to meet with Mavericks

Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches