Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next

Apr 17, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson

What affect will Jefferson have on the development of Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Cody Zeller?

2. Toronto puts together Drake narrated playoffs preview video

Apr 17, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Timberwolves Raptors Basketball AP

Raptors fans are pumped for the playoffs.

3. Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.”

Apr 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

It really comes down to this: Does he trust Phil Jackson and Knicks management to build a winner quickly?

4. LeBron James, Heat top NBA jersey sales again

Apr 17, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Miami Heat Getty Images

You put your money where your heart is, and your heart clearly follows LeBron James and the Heat.

5. The incredible thing about Larry Drew

Apr 17, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Larry Drew Larry Drew

Bucks didn’t win back-to-back games all season

6. Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season

Apr 17, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Kobe may be in France but he still had time to tweet Lakers fans and tell them things will be better next season.

7. Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft

Apr 17, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

Duke v Mercer Getty Images

He is as high on some boards as No. 1, but likely goes No. 3. However no freshman near the top of this board will have a bigger immediate impact in the NBA — his offensive game is NBA ready.

8. Report: Rick Adelman will not return as Timberwolves coach

Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Rick Adelman Rick Adelman

This both has been expected and is mutual, according to the buzz around the league.

9. Report: Grant Hill not interested in becoming Pistons’ general manager

Apr 17, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge 2014 Getty Images

Hill previously reported to be a candidate for a job

10. Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would

Apr 17, 2014, 2:10 AM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

On the season Kevin Durant averaged 32 points, seven rebounds and five assists a game. Not too shabby.

11. Kevin Durant’s game-winning dunk clinches two seed for Thunder (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Kevin Durant was simply unstoppable with the game on the line against the Pistons.

12. Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set

Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

The West is loaded with great series: Thunder vs. Grizzlies, Clippers vs. Warriors, Rockets vs. Blazers.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures