Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Goran Dragic keeps his options open, says he’d consider coming to Knicks

Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EST

Goran Dragic, Jose Calderon, Cole Aldrich AP

Of course he said he’d consider the Knicks, it’s just smart business.

2. Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson

Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

George Karl AP

The very public meeting with Jackson was leverage to help get Karl to lower his asking price.

3. Brad Stevens insists he won’t leave Celtics for a college job

Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Brad Stevens Brad Stevens

Stevens dismisses rumors of Indiana University.

4. Iman Shumpert won’t require surgery for dislocated shoulder

Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Iman Shumpert Iman Shumpert

The Knicks guard will be reevaluated in two weeks.

5. Larry Sanders opens up about disastrous 2013-14 season

Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Larry Sanders Larry Sanders

Everything went wrong for Sanders and the Bucks last year.

6. Report: Lance Stephenson has clashed with Hornets teammates

Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Why else would trade rumors surface 20 games or so into his first season in Charlotte?

7. Blake Griffin with dagger tip-in to lift Clippers past Bucks (VIDEO)

Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Blake Griffin, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Chris Paul AP

The Bucks went heavy with Brandon Knight at the end of the game. That went about as well as you’d expect.

8. Rajon Rondo’s career highlights with the Celtics (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.

9. Report: Cavaliers GM passed on trading for Corey Brewer, hopes to add defensive big man instead

Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

David Griffin AP

Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.

10. Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets

Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 AP

Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.

11. Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic

Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Phoenix Suns Media Day Phoenix Suns Media Day

Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches