Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Kevin Durant is tired of being asked about Tony Allen. Very tired.

Apr 24, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game One Getty Images

Sorry KD, but through two games Allen has been the MVP of this series.

2. Jabari Parker tells Dan Patrick two-and-done is “ridiculous,” likes ‘Melo comparison

Apr 24, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Gardner-Webb v Duke Getty Images

Jabari Parker says he passed more than Carmelo because he had a better team to pass to.

3. How much would you pay Lance Stephenson in free agency this summer?

Apr 24, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT

Boston Celtics  v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

He wants Steph Curry money, but he’ll likely get more like $7 million a year.

4. Pau Gasol says he would stay with Lakers for Kobe, but there needs to be changes

Apr 24, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Gasol basically wants D’Antoni gone, but even then he likely moves on.

5. Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today”

Apr 24, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v New York Knicks Getty Images

Oscar Robertson thinks ‘Melo should get out of Dodge (and go to Houston).

6. Nick Young’s first pitch at Dodger game is juuuust a bit outside (VINE)

Apr 24, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

Nick Young AP

He will not be getting a baseball contract soon.

7. Jason Collins makes the Time 100

Apr 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Bl-5vGACMAE8nxe

Dwyane Wade does writeup on Serena Williams

8. Clearly frustrated James Harden argues with reporter, calls him “weirdo”

Apr 24, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

James Harden James Harden

Harden is frustrated. He should be, shooting under 30 percent for two games.

9. Mike Conley wins NBA Sportsmanship Award

Apr 24, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Mike Conley, Kendrick Perkins Mike Conley, Kendrick Perkins

Grizzlies guard gets Joe Dumars Trophy over Jeff Green, Channing Frye, Bradley Beal, Damian Lillard and Mike Dunleavy

10. Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record?

Apr 24, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

Trail Blazers forward is averaging 44.5 points trhough two games

11. LaMarcus Aldridge, Dwight Howard had a duel (VIDEO)

Apr 24, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

LaMarcus Aldridge, Dwight Howard, Terrence Jones LaMarcus Aldridge, Dwight Howard, Terrence Jones

Dwight Howard was aggressive early and put on a show, but LaMarcus Aldridge won the war.

12. Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up?

Apr 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Paul George AP

All three series Thursday night are tied 1-1.

13. LaMarcus Aldridge ruining Dwight Howard’s chance at redemption

Apr 24, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT

Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge

Trail Blazers take 2-0 series lead with second win in Houston

14. Spurs give the ball away first, then Game 2 to Dallas

Apr 23, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT

Tony Parker Tony Parker

The Spurs turned the ball over on 26.2 percent of their possessions. It’s very unSpurs like.

Wizards playing spoiler in East