Victor Oladipo shares joyous draft night with father

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Getty Images

NEW YORK – Victor Oladipo’s incredible rise, from a high school backup to the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft, has come with a complicated relationship with his father in the backdrop.

Tonight, the father – who rarely, if at all, attended his son’s DeMatha High School games – came to the forefront.

“I tried to bring the whole DMV with me,” Oladipo said. “I got my sisters, my mom, my agent. And my father actually came today, which means a lot to me, as well. It was hard for him definitely to come to a lot of my games, but for him to be here tonight is an amazing feeling.”

Oladipo spoke about how his family once viewed his basketball playing as merely a hobby.

“I don’t even know if my family still knows what’s going on,” Oladipo said. “I know they’re happy. I know they’re happy for me.”

DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones has always maintained Victor and Chris Oladipo share a loving relationship, but any outsider can see it sometimes shows in strange ways. Jones has been close to Oladipo – “the whole ‘earned, not given,’ he is the epitome of that,” Jones said – and spent the last 48 hours with the former Indiana star.

“I was joking earlier, I kind of felt like I got drafted too, ” Jones said.

It’s the type of joy Oladipo has shared with not only his immediate family, but his extended family like Jones and former Indiana teammate Cody Zeller, who was drafted by the Bobcats with the No. 4 pick, much higher than many expected.

“I’m not surprised he got picked where he got picked,” Oladipo said. “I was cheering just as loud as everybody else.”

On a night most draft picks look like they’ve reached a lifelong goal (because that’s usually the case), Oladipo carried himself with an extra outward happiness.

Jones, who learned Oladipo had a hidden talent the night of his senior-year banquet at DeMatha, thought Oladipo would even display it during his televised interview immediately after the Magic picked him.

“I totally thought he was going to break out into song,” Jones said. “And he would have had this whole place rocking  had he done that.”

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

2. Josh Childress delivers flying elbow to opponent’s face (video)

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney

Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia

3. 67RIEFNS No. 32: Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh leading a team without LeBron

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Two Getty Images

Are Heat stars too old to succeed without LeBron James?

4. 67RIEFNS No. 31: Wizards’ small forwards

Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Washington Wizards Charlotte Hornets vs Washington Wizards

Paul Pierce, Otto Porter or Martell Webster – all intriguing for different reasons – could become Washington’s starting small forward

5. Phil Jackson agrees with Jeff Van Gundy’s assessment of Triangle Offense

Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Phil Jackson Phil Jackson

Van Gundy downplayed the offense’s impact on a team’s success, and Jackson co-signs.

6. LeBron James special ‘Becoming’ to premiere on Disney XD (VIDEO)

Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Google ChromeScreenSnapz004

Filmed in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, “Becoming” includes rarely seen footage from LeBron James’ earliest days in sports.

7. Josh Smith dunks all over Nerlens Noel (VIDEO)

Oct 24, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT

Nerlens Noel, Josh Smith AP

Noel isn’t ready to stop that much power going to the rim yet.

8. 67RIEFNS No. 30: Tim Duncan doing it again

Oct 24, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT

2014 NBA Global Games - Berlin 2014 NBA Global Games - Berlin

Spurs big man just won’t stop producing great seasons

9. Daryl Morey: Last year’s Rockets were “average”

Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Jeremy Lin Houston Rockets Press Conference Jeremy Lin Houston Rockets Press Conference

Why is Houston’s general manager downplaying his own team’s success?

10. Donald Sterling is negotiating dismissal of his federal lawsuit against the NBA

Oct 23, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Donald Sterling Donald Sterling

Sterling had previously dropped a fraud charge against the NBA.

11. Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries

Oct 23, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

Steve Nash Steve Nash

The two-time MVP continues to battle nerve damage in his back.

12. Report: Sixers in talks to acquire Marquis Teague from Nets

Oct 23, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets Brooklyn Nets

He’s already one of the best players in Philadelphia.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches