Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
We have our first trade of the 2013 draft, and it involves some fairly big names.
The New Orleans Pelicans selected Nerlens Noel with the sixth overall pick, but he won’t be playing alongside Anthony Davis on the front line next season. They picked him for the Philadelphia 76ers, who will send All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday back in return.
The Pelicans will also send a protected 2014 first round pick to Philadelphia, who will send the 42nd pick in this year’s draft to New Orleans, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
The Sixers finished out of the playoffs in the East last season with a record of 34-48, so it looks like the team’s new general manager Sam Hinkie is preferring to start a rebuild from scratch instead of building on existing assets.
Andrew Bynum didn’t play at all for the Sixers last season, and is an unrestricted free agent this summer that Hinkie doesn’t seem all that interested in pursuing. A new GM just beginning the first year of his deal has a lot more leeway to make bold choices like this, so if he wasn’t that sold on Holiday’s fit with his future plans for the franchise, entering a full-fledged rebuild might have been the collectively agreed-upon decision.
From the Pelicans’ perspective, getting a 23-year old All-Star point guard to pair alongside Eric Gordon (if healthy) is a very nice piece. Holiday averaged 17.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 8.0 assists in 37.5 minutes per game last season — all career-highs.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 0
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 6
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7