Report: Dwight Howard unlikely to sign with Lakers, leaning Houston, Dallas

Jun 27, 2013, 10:24 AM EST

Dwight Howard AP

People who want to make everyone around them happy come off as indecisive — they tell everyone what they want to hear and they are prone to changing their minds multiple times on one decision.

Which is to say nobody really knows for sure what Dwight Howard is going to do as a free agent. Nobody. Not even Dwight Howard.

That said, there is more and more buzz around the league that Howard is going to bolt the Lakers after one season. That despite the pretty banners the Lakers put up on the Staples Center building and everything. Here’s the latest, from Chris Broussard of ESPN.

What Broussard writes is the prevailing theory around the league right now, the way the wind is blowing a few days before free agency opens (teams can call players at midnight when Sunday becomes Monday). And if you wonder where the leaks are coming from, well, remember how leaky Howard’s side was when he wanted out of Orlando?

But with Howard, the wind can change direction at any minute for any reason. So if you are a Rockets or Lakers or Mavericks fan waiting on him, enjoy the coming roller coaster ride.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. lakerwoman - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Get rid of D’Antoni. Talk Dwight into staying.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Agreed. D’Antoni has this penchant for forcing his system even when it doesn’t match with the type of players he has got…

2. tstreet - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I agree that the Lakers should get rid of D’Antoni.

With that said-if Dwight does not want to be a Laker, I would trade (sign and trade) him for the best value I could get. I would like Klay Thompson, (from LA and day played for Lakers) and Carl Landry and/or the rookie from North Carolina. Pau Gasol will be my center. They won a championship with him as the center. I know a banged up Bynum was there blah blah…

If they can not get good trade value for him, I would trade him to the New Orleans Pelicans, Charlotte Bobcats type team, so he could continue to whine, whine and totally expose him. I liked Dwight in Orlando. I wanted him to come to my beloved Lakers. But, if he don’t want to commit- I say good riddance!

3. tonyz6060chevy - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I wouldn’t be overly Concerned .If D-12 bolts and the Lakers stick with D’Antoni as coach plan B would be to hold onto Gasol and sign Andrew Bynum from Free agency. I would think they’d pick him up relatively cheaper than they originally signed him for a few years back! With that paln in place all Lakernation has to figure out how to get rid of D’antoni and Buss Jr.!

4. jerdogthompson - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Lakerluvr is officially on suicide watch

Like I said as nauseum last year, prepare yourselves for mediocrity ladies.

• spthegr8 - Jun 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

@Jerdog
      You know mediocrity, ALL too well. Your a clipper fan. It Kind of goes with the territory!!

5. damienthorne2012 - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM

As a long time Laker fan I am so happy to see this and I hope it ends up true. Do the research Big Men rarely improve statistically after the age of 29 especially when they are not fundamentally sound to begin with, and Dwight Howard is a fundamentals nightmare. He thrives on supreme athleticism…when that starts to go..so will his productivity. . Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O’Neil, David Robinson,Alonzo Mourning Tim Duncan are exceptions to the rule but again…all of them where fundamentally sound but the drop off after the age 31-32 was significant.
    Im all for letting Dwight go…do the unthinkable and Amnesty Kobe and let him rehab for the entire year. Sure the team will suck for one year but you have a great 2014 draft pick, a shot a the great free agent crop of 2014…LeBron James,Dwyane Wade,
    Chris Bosh,Carmelo Anthony,Kobe Bryant,Danny Granger,Luol Deng,
    Rudy Gay,,Andrew Bogut &,Zach Randolph. Not to mention any major trades that the Lakers always manage to pull off. The future is not as bleak as it looks, but it starts with letting Dwight Howard go because he has seen his best years already.

• 1historian - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I hate the Lakers but I have to agree with you. I’m a Celtics fan and it looks like there will be big sucking sounds coming out of LA & Beantown next season, and the papers will be full of “wait till next year” starting around February. I kind of like our chances – we’ve got 2 1st rounders.

I think Kobe is washed up. Not crowing or anything but an ACL tear at his age is not easy to deal with.

But – I STILL hate the Lakers.

Lucky me

6. damienthorne2012 - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Oh…and for sure Get Rid of D’Antoni…he is the worst.

7. tahjay - Jun 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Whoa Whoa Whoa let’s pump the brakes. I’m by no means a Laker fan, and I often smile at their misfortune, but Chris Broussard????

I think ‘sources’ in the NBA are actively playing a joke on Chris Broussard just to get him to report their nonsense on twitter.

8. losanginsight - Jun 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Howard doesn’t want the responsibility of winning a Ring. He wants the ball down low but gets it smaked out of his hands. He can’t make free throws but wants to be in the game at crucial moments. He should leave. The Lakers will still be 16x Champs without him. Some guys can’t cut it in LA.
    #dontstayinla

9. bimmerman535 - Jun 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Howard should leave LA Lakers for Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or Knicks. LA Lakers should not be selfish. Lakers already won 20 something championships. Hate Lakers! DAntoni system works if players listen and buy into system. Howard needs to flourish in Houston where McHale knows how to coach big men and harden & Lin will compliment Howard in scoring.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches