Jun 27, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
It’s time for the Bucks to make a decision on Brandon Jennings — do they offer him a contract extension (he thinks he deserves the max, he thinks he’s better than he is), or do you let another team come in and set the price for the restricted free agent then decide if you want to keep him?
Or, how about options C — trade him.
The Bucks seem to be exploring option C, reports Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times.
As teams can try to poach him as a free agent in a few days and not give up any players, that right price must not be all that high.
But teams may be interested in a sign-and-trade with Jennings to exchange pieces and that is what the Bucks are really putting out there.
Brandon Jennings is as quick a point guard as they come, and he scored 17.5 points a game last season with 6.5 assists. But he shot just 39 percent overall and his defense is not good. His efficiency dropped last year as he didn’t really mesh well with Monta Ellis or particularly J.J. Redick (they were -10.5 points per 100 possessions when paired).
Jennings got most of his offense as the pick-and-roll ball handler but shot just 40.1 percent in that role and scored a pedestrian 0.84 points per possession that way. He’s worse in isolation, shooting just 28.5 percent.
What you think of Jennings really depends on how much you think he can improve those weaknesses and become a more efficient player. We’ll see if any GMs are believers, but I wouldn’t expect the Bucks are going to get great offers coming back their way for him.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 57
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31