Nike unveils its latest signature shoe for Kevin Durant, the KD VI

Jun 27, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

Nike held an event on Thursday in Seat Pleasant, Md. (just outside of Washington, D.C.) to launch its latest signature shoe for Kevin Durant, the KD VI.

The location was significant, as the shoe’s design was inspired by Durant’s hometown, and (as pointed out in the video clip above) the precision craftsmanship of a watch.

More details, from the official release:

“As designer Leo Chang began the process of designing the KD VI 18 months ago, he found inspiration in the precision craftsmanship of a wristwatch. Like a premium watch, which is meticulously crafted, the KD VI features fine-tuned details that include:

• Ultra-thin two layer upper with Flywire for lockdown support
  • An optical illusion logo on the tongue revealing “35” and “6” in negative space
  • Radial brushed texture marks on the midsole, KD logo and Nike Swoosh
  • A multi-layered hexagon traction pattern

Similar to Durant’s controlled fluidity on the court, a watch operates with precise movements.  Small nuances in Durant’s style of play and the KD VI design mirror the micro details of a wristwatch.  Classic minimalism suggests less is sometimes more.

“When Kevin and I first discussed his sixth shoe we wanted to create a simplified design that was bold, beautiful and told a story,” said Chang, Nike Basketball Footwear Design Director.

The KD VI will drop first in D.C. on June 29, then will have a wider release on July 3. Check out the photos below and let us know if you plan on copping a pair — these are definitely one of the more unique signature shoes that we’ve seen.

KD VI from Nike Basketballslideshow
  1. jzone954 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Sweet. Can’t wait to see the lebron 11s as well…..and are Wades “way of the wade” ever gonna drop in the states??? I mean come on already

2. 4thquartermagic - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I think the day I truly became an adult was when I realized paying $150 for a hideous pair of shoes was a bad idea.

I was 19.

3. much6in23the24clutch7 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Ugliest indoor soccer shoes I have ever seen

4. northstarnic - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hope his new shoe is not as poorly made as his new tattoo.

5. imforbigblue - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

so ugly

6. fraudguy - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Does this count as paid advertising, or unpaid shilling?

7. deiong - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I wonder if the athletes do not have a say on what the shoes look like, cause there freggin ugly… I feel bad for them having to represent themselves and endorse something so hideous..

8. pukpokito - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I am old school 80s.I like the hi or mid cut shoes.&You are so susceptible to ankle injuries with low cuts.I look at Kobe ever since he went with the low cuts he started getting these injuries.could be old age or plenty of mileage but who knows right?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches