Jun 27, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Nike held an event on Thursday in Seat Pleasant, Md. (just outside of Washington, D.C.) to launch its latest signature shoe for Kevin Durant, the KD VI.
The location was significant, as the shoe’s design was inspired by Durant’s hometown, and (as pointed out in the video clip above) the precision craftsmanship of a watch.
More details, from the official release:
“As designer Leo Chang began the process of designing the KD VI 18 months ago, he found inspiration in the precision craftsmanship of a wristwatch. Like a premium watch, which is meticulously crafted, the KD VI features fine-tuned details that include:
- Ultra-thin two layer upper with Flywire for lockdown support
- An optical illusion logo on the tongue revealing “35” and “6” in negative space
- Radial brushed texture marks on the midsole, KD logo and Nike Swoosh
- A multi-layered hexagon traction pattern
Similar to Durant’s controlled fluidity on the court, a watch operates with precise movements. Small nuances in Durant’s style of play and the KD VI design mirror the micro details of a wristwatch. Classic minimalism suggests less is sometimes more.
“When Kevin and I first discussed his sixth shoe we wanted to create a simplified design that was bold, beautiful and told a story,” said Chang, Nike Basketball Footwear Design Director.
The KD VI will drop first in D.C. on June 29, then will have a wider release on July 3. Check out the photos below and let us know if you plan on copping a pair — these are definitely one of the more unique signature shoes that we’ve seen.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (50)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)