Jun 27, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Nike held an event on Thursday in Seat Pleasant, Md. (just outside of Washington, D.C.) to launch its latest signature shoe for Kevin Durant, the KD VI.
The location was significant, as the shoe’s design was inspired by Durant’s hometown, and (as pointed out in the video clip above) the precision craftsmanship of a watch.
More details, from the official release:
“As designer Leo Chang began the process of designing the KD VI 18 months ago, he found inspiration in the precision craftsmanship of a wristwatch. Like a premium watch, which is meticulously crafted, the KD VI features fine-tuned details that include:
- Ultra-thin two layer upper with Flywire for lockdown support
- An optical illusion logo on the tongue revealing “35” and “6” in negative space
- Radial brushed texture marks on the midsole, KD logo and Nike Swoosh
- A multi-layered hexagon traction pattern
Similar to Durant’s controlled fluidity on the court, a watch operates with precise movements. Small nuances in Durant’s style of play and the KD VI design mirror the micro details of a wristwatch. Classic minimalism suggests less is sometimes more.
“When Kevin and I first discussed his sixth shoe we wanted to create a simplified design that was bold, beautiful and told a story,” said Chang, Nike Basketball Footwear Design Director.
The KD VI will drop first in D.C. on June 29, then will have a wider release on July 3. Check out the photos below and let us know if you plan on copping a pair — these are definitely one of the more unique signature shoes that we’ve seen.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4