Jun 27, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
On the day of the NBA Draft rumors fly fast and furious — a lot of it fueled by agents trying to create false demand for their clients (hoping other teams pick them even higher), some fueled by teams throwing out smokescreens. Every once in a while there is a kernel of truth.
So take everything with a big grain of salt, but here are the latest rumors around the NBA. We will update this post throughout the day.
7:15 pm (Eastern):
• Up until the final minutes, the Cavaliers were listening to offers from the Oklahoma City Thunder and others. No deal got done…. at least yet.
6:25 pm (Eastern):
• More and more reports are that the Orlando Magic are happy at No. 2 and are taking Victor Oladipo out of Indiana. The Oklahoma City Thunder are trying to trade into that spot.
• If Oladipo goes No. 2, Ben McLemore could slide all the way to the five spot, where Sacramento would love to trade with Phoenix and grab the Kansas shooter.
• Miami point guard Shane Larkin could get snapped up by the Jazz (No. 14) and the Bucks (No. 15). (Ken Berger, CBSSports.com)
• Why is Anthony Bennett of UNLV sliding down draft boards (10 or lower maybe)? Concerns about his defensive effort and his weight.
4:30 pm (Eastern):
• The Sacramento Kings are pushing hard to move up in the draft (and there are picks available). The target is apparently Ben McLemore. I like that, personally in a down draft give me the guy who can shoot. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• If the Kings do move up, it could be with the Suns at No. 5 (providing their target guy is still there. (Ken Berger, CBSSports.com)
• Don’t be shocked if the Jazz pick up German point guard Dennis Schroeder at 14 (or 21). A number of teams like him farther down the draft but his stock is rising and will not fall to the mid-20s. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
3:15 pm (Eastern):
• It was long thought the Wizards would take Otto Porter at No. 3, but Anthony Bennett is in the mix, too. However, that is not the general consensus around the league, more people think Bennett is falling and could slip down to 10. (SherridanHoops)
• The Celtics are looking for a way to get into the second round. (A. Sherrod Blakely, CSNNE.com).
• There are going to be trades with this draft, but expect them to come much closer to the start of the draft and when teams are on the clock. Right now teams have high asking prices for their picks, those prices will come down as we get into the draft itself.
• Dennis Schroeder, the point guard out of Germany, is one of the Euros a lot of teams have their eyes on, however he does not want to be stashed overseas. He wants to come to the NBA and play now.
1:37 pm (Eastern):
• The Nets and Celtics are talking blockbuster deal that would send Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce to Brooklyn for Gerald Wallace and a lot of picks. There are a lot of hurdles and questions, but it’s out there being discussed. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• The hot international player on the board is Sergey Karasev, a 6’7” small forward, Russia. He was good enough to make the Russian Olympic team at 18 and may not be an explosive athlete but is seen as a good shooter, a solid future role player and a “safe” pick in a draft filled with uncertainty. (Marc Stein ESPN)
• Point guard Trey Burke says he expects to go somewhere between numbers 2 and 8 in the draft. Probably closer to 8 if you ask me.
• The Nuggets really want out of the No. 27 spot. The guy they draft there will not see the court much at all on a deep team, and the Nuggets would be locked into a three-year. $2.8 million total rookie scale deal if they pick a guy. (Denver Post)
• Virginia Tech’s Erik Green had a second workout with the Spurs. That team always finds shooters and deploys them wisely. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
11:40 am (Eastern):
• The Cavaliers are choosing between Nerlens Noel and Alex Len for the No. 1 overall pick, but they are still shopping that pick around hoping someone takes it off their hands.(Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• If the Cavaliers do make the No. 1 pick, they will still shop that player around after the draft. (Chad Ford, ESPN)
• At No. 2, the Magic are leaning heavily towards Victor Oladipo. However, they will have a real decision to make of Noel is available. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• The Bobcats have interest in Cody Zeller at the No. 4 spot, but they’d rather have Alex Len. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• What teams are trying to move up in the draft? The Jazz, Timberwolves and Thunder. (Chad Ford, ESPN)
• Flip Saunders is trying to shoot down reports he is trying to trade Derrick Williams. Of course, if you were trying to trade Williams that is what you would say to try and keep your leverage. (Star-Tribune)
• Dallas has had multiple offers for the No. 13 pick and will move it, but they are waiting to see if a better offer comes along closer to the draft. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• Among the offers the Mavs have discussed, the Bucks have suggested swapping first-round picks so Milwaukee could select Sergey Karasev. (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports)
• The Celtics are trying to acquire a late first, early second round pick. (Chad Ford, ESPN)
• One thing you will not see traded today — 2014 picks. At least not from teams that have even a chance of being in the lottery. (Chad Ford, ESPN)
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp
Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play
Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT
Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete
Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster
Aug 3, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
…with one exception
Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Does Melo fit in New York?
Aug 3, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
NBA teams played 70 four-in-fives last season
Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season
Aug 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Nike may well match.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Denver has until Oct. 4 to make a decision.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
The Kings were never a likely landing spot.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
We bring you this, because it’s August.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract
Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
I think the movie is coming, people.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9