Jun 27, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Gilbert Arenas as been out of the NBA for a couple years now, but he is still finding a way to make some explosive headlines.
Arenas was arrested in Los Angeles with a carload of illegal fireworks, and if there is a celebrity arrest you can bet on TMZ being on the spot. They have the report.
Law enforcement sources tell us Arenas was pulled over by California Highway Patrol around 2:30 AM in Los Angeles for speeding in a Ford pickup — but officers immediately saw that the truck was filled with fireworks … sitting in plain sight in the bed and cab of the truck.
We’re told Arenas was arrested and will be booked for possession of illegal fireworks, and cited for speeding — he was allegedly doing 80 mph — and driving without a license. It’s unclear exactly how much fireworks were in the truck, but it was enough that LAPD bomb squad was called to handle the illegal booty.
Los Angeles has pretty restrictive fireworks laws — there is a lot of dry brush that can catch fire in and around the city that was built on a desert. Los Angeles is also just a few hours from areas where you can buy all the illegal fireworks you can afford (and if you’re willing to drive into Mexico you can get pretty much anything short of an ICBM).
Speeding and driving without a license can get you in trouble in roughly 50 states.
I feel obligated to mention Arenas was suspended for most of a season after bringing a gun into the Wizards locker room and allegedly threatening Javaris Crittenton. But you knew that already.
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 17
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 47
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 7
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 13
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19