Jun 27, 2013, 11:06 AM EST
Gilbert Arenas as been out of the NBA for a couple years now, but he is still finding a way to make some explosive headlines.
Arenas was arrested in Los Angeles with a carload of illegal fireworks, and if there is a celebrity arrest you can bet on TMZ being on the spot. They have the report.
Law enforcement sources tell us Arenas was pulled over by California Highway Patrol around 2:30 AM in Los Angeles for speeding in a Ford pickup — but officers immediately saw that the truck was filled with fireworks … sitting in plain sight in the bed and cab of the truck.
We’re told Arenas was arrested and will be booked for possession of illegal fireworks, and cited for speeding — he was allegedly doing 80 mph — and driving without a license. It’s unclear exactly how much fireworks were in the truck, but it was enough that LAPD bomb squad was called to handle the illegal booty.
Los Angeles has pretty restrictive fireworks laws — there is a lot of dry brush that can catch fire in and around the city that was built on a desert. Los Angeles is also just a few hours from areas where you can buy all the illegal fireworks you can afford (and if you’re willing to drive into Mexico you can get pretty much anything short of an ICBM).
Speeding and driving without a license can get you in trouble in roughly 50 states.
I feel obligated to mention Arenas was suspended for most of a season after bringing a gun into the Wizards locker room and allegedly threatening Javaris Crittenton. But you knew that already.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12