Jun 26, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points almost as much as we love draft rumors…
• It’s time for a lesson in the semantics of being an NBA general manager. Word leaked out this week that the Bobcats were throwing in the towel and shopping around Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. It didn’t take long for the Bobcats to say that talk is crazy, of course they would do no such thing. Here are the exact words of GM Rich Cho: “No! We’re not shopping him. We get calls on all our players. My job to take calls.” To an NBA GM shopping means calling up another GM and saying “what would you give me for X?” But you are not shopping the guy if you put out the word you are listening to offers then let other people call you, then you are just taking calls. The practical difference? Nil. Still can’t believe the Bobcats would move him.
• Kidd-Gilchrist remains just a steady jump shot away from being a serious impact player (that is one ugly jumper he has). Not so coincidentally, the Bobcats have hired Mark Price as a shooting coach.
• You can vote for what suit Nerlens Noel will wear to the draft.
• Trey Burke’s fashion sense is clearly pretty good as he has already gotten a GQ feature.
• The Lakers picked up the option year and will keep Jodie Meeks for one more season. Robert Sacre also will be back with the team, while Chris Duhon and Devin Ebanks will need to look for a new squad. The Lakers want to keep Earl Clark, but it depends on what he gets offered on the free agent market.
• Of more importance to the Lakers, Kobe Bryant‘s Achilles is good enough that he is able to walk without his walking boot.
• Here is a look at the family dynamics that mean Phil Jackson will not coach the Lakers.
• The night Miami won the NBA title they racked up a$100,000 champagne bill. If the Spurs had won, they might have racked up a $100 Shiner Bock tab.
• In case you can’t get enough LeBron James love, here is another post on his accomplishments and status.
• During the Finals Spike Lee tried to shoot a mini “He Got Game” version, all done before a Heat game. He got shot down.
• Heat owner Micky Arison has been booted from his role as CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines. It’s been a rough PR year for Carnival.
• New Kings coach Mike Miller has hired his father as an assistant.
• However, Timofey Mozgov will compete for Russia in that tournament.
• Craig Brackins is hoping for another shot in the NBA.
• Watch new Nets coach Jason Kidd throw out the frist pitch at a Yankee’s game. Not bad.
• Not only are NBA teams heading overseas this preseason, one of the Europe’s best is coming here: CSKA Moscow will play the Minnesota Timberwolves on Oct 7 (remember during the lockout Andrei Kirilenko went and played for CSKA, where Minnesota teammate Alexey Shved also played at the time). Two nights later CSKA will visit San Antonio to face the Spurs.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:22 AM EDT
LeBron slides into the loser category for a night.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 AM EDT
The Clippers will take the win, but it wasn’t pretty.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:14 AM EDT
There is no official timetable for his return, but we are likely talking 6 weeks or more he is out.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
Players should never angrily engage with fans.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Big time shot.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
Nobody saw this coming.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The banner is back.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Oct 30, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The Sixers CEO fired back, but taking on a Hall of Fame coach isn’t usually wise.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s going to be a rough transition for the Knicks. New Yorkers have to be patient (not always their strong suit).
Oct 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It’s a sign Dan Gilbert is pulling out the checkbook to spend.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Spurs just got better.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Look for a decision sometime after Christmas.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
The time the Nuggets center responded to a heckler
Oct 30, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
Cleveland, as of a few days ago, reportedly hadn’t begun negotiations with Thompson
Oct 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Faried reveals Nuggets defensive game plan against Pistons
LeBron makes emotional return to Cleveland tonight, new Nike ad shows city standing together (VIDEO)
Oct 30, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The season is about process for the Cavaliers, but tonight is about celebration of home.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
It was a good night to be a Hornets fan.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bulls center has discussed Phil Jackson with his younger brother
Oct 30, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Gasol was dominant opening night, and Derrick Rose is thrilled to finally have some help.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24