Jun 26, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points almost as much as we love draft rumors…
• It’s time for a lesson in the semantics of being an NBA general manager. Word leaked out this week that the Bobcats were throwing in the towel and shopping around Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. It didn’t take long for the Bobcats to say that talk is crazy, of course they would do no such thing. Here are the exact words of GM Rich Cho: “No! We’re not shopping him. We get calls on all our players. My job to take calls.” To an NBA GM shopping means calling up another GM and saying “what would you give me for X?” But you are not shopping the guy if you put out the word you are listening to offers then let other people call you, then you are just taking calls. The practical difference? Nil. Still can’t believe the Bobcats would move him.
• Kidd-Gilchrist remains just a steady jump shot away from being a serious impact player (that is one ugly jumper he has). Not so coincidentally, the Bobcats have hired Mark Price as a shooting coach.
• You can vote for what suit Nerlens Noel will wear to the draft.
• Trey Burke’s fashion sense is clearly pretty good as he has already gotten a GQ feature.
• The Lakers picked up the option year and will keep Jodie Meeks for one more season. Robert Sacre also will be back with the team, while Chris Duhon and Devin Ebanks will need to look for a new squad. The Lakers want to keep Earl Clark, but it depends on what he gets offered on the free agent market.
• Of more importance to the Lakers, Kobe Bryant‘s Achilles is good enough that he is able to walk without his walking boot.
• Here is a look at the family dynamics that mean Phil Jackson will not coach the Lakers.
• The night Miami won the NBA title they racked up a$100,000 champagne bill. If the Spurs had won, they might have racked up a $100 Shiner Bock tab.
• In case you can’t get enough LeBron James love, here is another post on his accomplishments and status.
• During the Finals Spike Lee tried to shoot a mini “He Got Game” version, all done before a Heat game. He got shot down.
• Heat owner Micky Arison has been booted from his role as CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines. It’s been a rough PR year for Carnival.
• New Kings coach Mike Miller has hired his father as an assistant.
• However, Timofey Mozgov will compete for Russia in that tournament.
• Craig Brackins is hoping for another shot in the NBA.
• Watch new Nets coach Jason Kidd throw out the frist pitch at a Yankee’s game. Not bad.
• Not only are NBA teams heading overseas this preseason, one of the Europe’s best is coming here: CSKA Moscow will play the Minnesota Timberwolves on Oct 7 (remember during the lockout Andrei Kirilenko went and played for CSKA, where Minnesota teammate Alexey Shved also played at the time). Two nights later CSKA will visit San Antonio to face the Spurs.
May 28, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Kevin Love might leave the Cavaliers in free agency. Cleveland fans, if history is any indication, wouldn’t treat him well if he does. What would Love’s peers think? Colin Cowherd asked Jared Dudley – whom you might remember from saying players avoid Kobe Bryant Bryant and calling Carmelo Anthony the NBA’s most overrated player –…
May 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Bulls owner Jerry Reinsforf: ‘There must be free and open interdepartmental discussion and consideration of everyone’s ideas and opinions. These internal discussions must not be considered an invasion of turf, and must remain private.’
May 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Chicago reportedly plans to resolve standoff by Friday
May 28, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Denver reportedly has not interviewed Mike D’Antoni
May 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
That seems… connected
May 28, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
He would help the defense, but I’m not sure about the fit.
May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
May 28, 2015, 2:55 AM EDT
This is where the week off until the Finals tip off benefits the Warriors.
May 28, 2015, 1:49 AM EDT
Houston won 56 games, secured No. 2 seed in powerful Western Conference and won more playoff series than its previous 17 years combined
May 28, 2015, 12:39 AM EDT
The Warriors don’t care how it looked, they will take it.
Dwight Howard elbows Andre Iguodala but avoids flagrant foul and suspension – for now, at least (video)
May 27, 2015, 11:50 PM EDT
Rockets center elbowed Andre Iguodala high
May 27, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
That sounds bad. Is that bad?
May 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
“Hey!” -Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, probably
May 27, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Will it stand?
May 27, 2015, 9:51 PM EDT
Who will it be (if anyone)?
May 27, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
First Kobe, now Melo – Dudley goes scorched earth
May 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
The Cavaliers are allowing 98.5 points per 100 possession in the playoffs, the best of the four teams to reach the conference Finals
May 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Will he become Anthony Davis’ next head coach?
Stephen Curry feels like there’s a bruise ‘all the way up and down’ his body, will likely wear arm sleeve in Game 5
May 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Warriors guard says he shot well with sleeve in shootaround
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 23
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 55
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 18
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3