Jun 26, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points almost as much as we love draft rumors…
• It’s time for a lesson in the semantics of being an NBA general manager. Word leaked out this week that the Bobcats were throwing in the towel and shopping around Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. It didn’t take long for the Bobcats to say that talk is crazy, of course they would do no such thing. Here are the exact words of GM Rich Cho: “No! We’re not shopping him. We get calls on all our players. My job to take calls.” To an NBA GM shopping means calling up another GM and saying “what would you give me for X?” But you are not shopping the guy if you put out the word you are listening to offers then let other people call you, then you are just taking calls. The practical difference? Nil. Still can’t believe the Bobcats would move him.
• Kidd-Gilchrist remains just a steady jump shot away from being a serious impact player (that is one ugly jumper he has). Not so coincidentally, the Bobcats have hired Mark Price as a shooting coach.
• You can vote for what suit Nerlens Noel will wear to the draft.
• Trey Burke’s fashion sense is clearly pretty good as he has already gotten a GQ feature.
• The Lakers picked up the option year and will keep Jodie Meeks for one more season. Robert Sacre also will be back with the team, while Chris Duhon and Devin Ebanks will need to look for a new squad. The Lakers want to keep Earl Clark, but it depends on what he gets offered on the free agent market.
• Of more importance to the Lakers, Kobe Bryant‘s Achilles is good enough that he is able to walk without his walking boot.
• Here is a look at the family dynamics that mean Phil Jackson will not coach the Lakers.
• The night Miami won the NBA title they racked up a$100,000 champagne bill. If the Spurs had won, they might have racked up a $100 Shiner Bock tab.
• In case you can’t get enough LeBron James love, here is another post on his accomplishments and status.
• During the Finals Spike Lee tried to shoot a mini “He Got Game” version, all done before a Heat game. He got shot down.
• Heat owner Micky Arison has been booted from his role as CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines. It’s been a rough PR year for Carnival.
• New Kings coach Mike Miller has hired his father as an assistant.
• However, Timofey Mozgov will compete for Russia in that tournament.
• Craig Brackins is hoping for another shot in the NBA.
• Watch new Nets coach Jason Kidd throw out the frist pitch at a Yankee’s game. Not bad.
• Not only are NBA teams heading overseas this preseason, one of the Europe’s best is coming here: CSKA Moscow will play the Minnesota Timberwolves on Oct 7 (remember during the lockout Andrei Kirilenko went and played for CSKA, where Minnesota teammate Alexey Shved also played at the time). Two nights later CSKA will visit San Antonio to face the Spurs.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?
Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”
Aug 21, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
He denied this yesterday.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Video of Durant telling this humorous story.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Silver says it’s ultimately the individual athlete’s personal choice.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Being Jeremy Lin’s parent must be an interesting experience. What do you say to him to correct him.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
It’s a great move, one Irving pulls off almost ever game.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Coming back off foot surgery, this is a good thing.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Drummond is still a likely cut,
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s all business for KD with Roc Nation getting in the act.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Stephen Curry says yes, Kevin Durant says no.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 9
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 7
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 37
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10