Jun 26, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points almost as much as we love draft rumors…
• It’s time for a lesson in the semantics of being an NBA general manager. Word leaked out this week that the Bobcats were throwing in the towel and shopping around Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. It didn’t take long for the Bobcats to say that talk is crazy, of course they would do no such thing. Here are the exact words of GM Rich Cho: “No! We’re not shopping him. We get calls on all our players. My job to take calls.” To an NBA GM shopping means calling up another GM and saying “what would you give me for X?” But you are not shopping the guy if you put out the word you are listening to offers then let other people call you, then you are just taking calls. The practical difference? Nil. Still can’t believe the Bobcats would move him.
• Kidd-Gilchrist remains just a steady jump shot away from being a serious impact player (that is one ugly jumper he has). Not so coincidentally, the Bobcats have hired Mark Price as a shooting coach.
• You can vote for what suit Nerlens Noel will wear to the draft.
• Trey Burke’s fashion sense is clearly pretty good as he has already gotten a GQ feature.
• The Lakers picked up the option year and will keep Jodie Meeks for one more season. Robert Sacre also will be back with the team, while Chris Duhon and Devin Ebanks will need to look for a new squad. The Lakers want to keep Earl Clark, but it depends on what he gets offered on the free agent market.
• Of more importance to the Lakers, Kobe Bryant‘s Achilles is good enough that he is able to walk without his walking boot.
• Here is a look at the family dynamics that mean Phil Jackson will not coach the Lakers.
• The night Miami won the NBA title they racked up a$100,000 champagne bill. If the Spurs had won, they might have racked up a $100 Shiner Bock tab.
• In case you can’t get enough LeBron James love, here is another post on his accomplishments and status.
• During the Finals Spike Lee tried to shoot a mini “He Got Game” version, all done before a Heat game. He got shot down.
• Heat owner Micky Arison has been booted from his role as CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines. It’s been a rough PR year for Carnival.
• New Kings coach Mike Miller has hired his father as an assistant.
• However, Timofey Mozgov will compete for Russia in that tournament.
• Craig Brackins is hoping for another shot in the NBA.
• Watch new Nets coach Jason Kidd throw out the frist pitch at a Yankee’s game. Not bad.
• Not only are NBA teams heading overseas this preseason, one of the Europe’s best is coming here: CSKA Moscow will play the Minnesota Timberwolves on Oct 7 (remember during the lockout Andrei Kirilenko went and played for CSKA, where Minnesota teammate Alexey Shved also played at the time). Two nights later CSKA will visit San Antonio to face the Spurs.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Wasn’t this obvious already?
Jul 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It could work — in very limited circumstances.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Bird also says Jordan would destroy him one-on-one right now.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
James Ennis seems on the bubble with Miami.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
I so hope this isn’t staged.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Dragic would not have fit the triangle, but he’s talented.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Center goes from Frank Vogel to Byron Scott and is happy about it
Jul 27, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
Key Democrat implies it’s not a certainty
Jul 27, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Vlade Divac is trying to put the band back together
Jul 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Celtics and Warriors finalize David Lee trade
Jul 27, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Did he accept the qualifying offer?
Jul 27, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT
Indiana apparently liked what is saw from undrafted free agent last season
Jul 27, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Protected second-round pick going back to Celtics
Jul 27, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Miller reportedly wanted to leave Cavaliers for a team that would play him more
Jul 27, 2015, 9:32 AM EDT
Both players to receive partially guaranteed contracts
Jul 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
If Miller wants to be on a contender, it may not happen before the season starts.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he ever writes a biography of his time with the team, that will be a must read.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:45 AM EDT
The Trail Blazers will waive Haywood and Miller very soon, and both will try to hook on with a contender.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Swaggy P was in full effect.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Stanley Johnson has looked good all summer.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 9
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 6
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4