Jun 26, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Some of the new logos that will be in play for the Phoenix Suns next season hit the internet a short time ago, but the team made the announcement official on Wednesday.
The changes are eloquently explained in the team release:
“The Suns’ primary logo changes for the first time in 13 years (2000) and only the fourth time in franchise history. A basketball sunburst over the stacked words “Phoenix Suns,” the new logo features a black backdrop and a simplified basketball similar to the one used by the team from 1992-2000.
“The Suns have also updated the popular “PHX” bird logo, with slight variations to the one originally introduced by the team in 2000. The new version features modernized flames, uplifted wings, and a basketball consistent with the one featured in the primary logo.
“Additionally, a new “S” logo combines the club’s past and present by incorporating the sunburst from the team’s primary logo to create a simple mark perfect for merchandise and digital applications. The new logo will only be used when accompanied by another logo or design, as shown on the two t-shirts below. In addition, the “S” will be included as an accent logo on new Suns uniforms scheduled to be unveiled later this summer.
“Finally, the “SUNS” word mark featured on the team’s new court last season becomes an accent logo. The ambigram, unique among NBA teams, is featured at center court where it can be easily identified by fans sitting anywhere in US Airways Center.”
Phoenix began the change with a redesign to the team’s home court last season, but due to the extended time frame required by the league to approve logo and uniform changes, the full transformation was delayed until this season.
The Suns will also be one of a few teams getting an alternate jersey with sleeves this season, a design which was debuted by the Warriors last year.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 7
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6