Jun 26, 2013, 11:51 PM EST
Some of the new logos that will be in play for the Phoenix Suns next season hit the internet a short time ago, but the team made the announcement official on Wednesday.
The changes are eloquently explained in the team release:
“The Suns’ primary logo changes for the first time in 13 years (2000) and only the fourth time in franchise history. A basketball sunburst over the stacked words “Phoenix Suns,” the new logo features a black backdrop and a simplified basketball similar to the one used by the team from 1992-2000.
“The Suns have also updated the popular “PHX” bird logo, with slight variations to the one originally introduced by the team in 2000. The new version features modernized flames, uplifted wings, and a basketball consistent with the one featured in the primary logo.
“Additionally, a new “S” logo combines the club’s past and present by incorporating the sunburst from the team’s primary logo to create a simple mark perfect for merchandise and digital applications. The new logo will only be used when accompanied by another logo or design, as shown on the two t-shirts below. In addition, the “S” will be included as an accent logo on new Suns uniforms scheduled to be unveiled later this summer.
“Finally, the “SUNS” word mark featured on the team’s new court last season becomes an accent logo. The ambigram, unique among NBA teams, is featured at center court where it can be easily identified by fans sitting anywhere in US Airways Center.”
Phoenix began the change with a redesign to the team’s home court last season, but due to the extended time frame required by the league to approve logo and uniform changes, the full transformation was delayed until this season.
The Suns will also be one of a few teams getting an alternate jersey with sleeves this season, a design which was debuted by the Warriors last year.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 0
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 5
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 17
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 13
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29