Jun 26, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Some of the new logos that will be in play for the Phoenix Suns next season hit the internet a short time ago, but the team made the announcement official on Wednesday.
The changes are eloquently explained in the team release:
“The Suns’ primary logo changes for the first time in 13 years (2000) and only the fourth time in franchise history. A basketball sunburst over the stacked words “Phoenix Suns,” the new logo features a black backdrop and a simplified basketball similar to the one used by the team from 1992-2000.
“The Suns have also updated the popular “PHX” bird logo, with slight variations to the one originally introduced by the team in 2000. The new version features modernized flames, uplifted wings, and a basketball consistent with the one featured in the primary logo.
“Additionally, a new “S” logo combines the club’s past and present by incorporating the sunburst from the team’s primary logo to create a simple mark perfect for merchandise and digital applications. The new logo will only be used when accompanied by another logo or design, as shown on the two t-shirts below. In addition, the “S” will be included as an accent logo on new Suns uniforms scheduled to be unveiled later this summer.
“Finally, the “SUNS” word mark featured on the team’s new court last season becomes an accent logo. The ambigram, unique among NBA teams, is featured at center court where it can be easily identified by fans sitting anywhere in US Airways Center.”
Phoenix began the change with a redesign to the team’s home court last season, but due to the extended time frame required by the league to approve logo and uniform changes, the full transformation was delayed until this season.
The Suns will also be one of a few teams getting an alternate jersey with sleeves this season, a design which was debuted by the Warriors last year.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13