Rumor: Thunder trying to land a top-five draft pick, offering two lower picks and Kendrick Perkins

Jun 26, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT

Kendrick Perkins Getty Images

The Thunder have two first round picks in Thursday’s draft, but the team is shooting much higher than that if you believe the latest reports.

From Andy Katz of ESPN.com (via Daily Thunder):

Elsewhere, a source said Oklahoma City was interested in packaging its two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 29) and Kendrick Perkins for a top-five pick. But the Thunder have had no takers either.

The offer isn’t a surprise, as the Thunder are trying to bolster their roster to compete for a championship. But neither is the fact that no one’s biting.

Cleveland has the top pick in the draft, and they are seeking the world in return for giving it up. The asking price may drop in the hours or minutes leading up to the draft, but for now, they’re offering it up in a package to get players who are essentially untouchable — like Minnesota’s Kevin Love, for example.

The other teams near the top of the draft — Orlando, Washington, Charlotte, and Phoenix — aren’t looking to trade out of their spots necessarily, as they’re all teams that need a young building block for the future.

The contract of Perkins is the bigger issue here, even beyond trading one high pick for two lower ones. He’s on the books for over $8 million next season and $9 million the year after, and for teams in the rebuilding stages of NBA life, it wouldn’t make any sense at all to take on a player with Perkins’ limited skill set at that price.

1. stephenolszewski - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Yeah because Kendrick Perkins makes me want to give up my lottery pick…

• fanofevilempire - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Rumor: Kendrick Perkins sucks and Thunder looking to dump him.

I thought Perkins was the BIG Kobe stopper, what happened to that talk?

Kendrick Perkin is a BIG piece of garbage, good luck dumping him.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Nobody ever said he was a Kobe stopper. He was once known as a Dwight Howard/Tim Duncan stopper. He was a great post defender in his day… unfortunately that day is gone and now he’s worthless.

• somekat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

First, I think I hate you for making me kind of defend Perkins…..

Why would be be the “BIG Kobe stopper”? Kobe has been a jump shooter for years, he’s a guard, how does that compute? His only value is as a defender in the post against bigs, Kobe isn’t that even a little bit

2. thekingdave - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Exactly. Perkins contract is a liability and negates one of the first round picks.

3. rickyspanish - Jun 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

At least they’re finally addressing the mistake they made in paying him that much money.

• apkyletexas - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM

They’ve taken some major steps backward this year, especially in losing Harden. Be interesting to see how they navigate a tough Western Conference next year, especially with Rivers running the Clippers, Curry playing dominant ball for the Warriors, the Spurs showcasing their young superstars Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard alongside MVP-caliber Tony Parker, and Zach and Gasol tearing it up in Memphis.

All of a sudden, KD + Westbrook + 7-Dwarves doesn’t look very daunting at all.

4. kb2408 - Jun 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

“The big Kobe stopper”?! When did Perkins ever guard Kobe? Anyway….Perkins is arguably the worst player in the NBA.

5. kevinferrigan - Jun 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

LOLOLOLOL the Thunder stay trolling.

6. ji8888 - Jun 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

He’s so overrated for that contract.

7. 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM

This has the feeling of too little, too late, in regards to not having done this earlier and amnestying him or dumping him off somewhere with the cap space to absorb his contract last year so they could have retained that stud of a player James Harden.

You know what, that kid they got in that same James Harden trade Jeremy Lamb…I bet if he had stayed in school Lamb would most definitely be considered a top 3-5 pick in this years draft. He’s gonna be good, just needs OKC to give him a shot. Maybe he gets that if Kevin Martin doesn’t come back.

8. knicksjagsfan - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:08 AM

They should have amnestied this bum awhile ago and tried to use the money to keep harden around

9. davidly - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM

The headline should read “Humor” instead of “Rumor” ‘cuz that’s some funny shtuff.

Let’s not forget::: Doc’s starting five are undefeated against PJ’s starting five in the finals, which, I guess, includes when KG was wearing a KD jersey and Rondo was a Westbrook and Phil was already out the do’.

KP may have been doin’ KP (as in cleaning up the glass) but like most times when you just enjoyed a good dinner, I never noticed.

Prediction – three teams that are going to have a worse record next season than this:
    Both teams in LA and the Thunder.

So much for up & comers.

10. anhdazman - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Perkins is garbage. OKC, you want to move up. Offer #12, #29 and next year’s unprotected #1.
    You might get a few more sniffs than trying to pass of Perkins. Overpaid bench player at best.

11. loungefly74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM

maybe the Thunder should get Doc Rivers to vouch for Perk…

12. bigmeechy74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

You know who would look good in a Thunder uniform? James Harden. Can you imagine a nucleus of Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka? That would be awesome! All of them are under 25! That could be a potential dynasty! If I were Sam Presti I would call the Rockets and offer Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin, and a couple draft picks. That sounds like an even trade, right? ………. WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY HAHAHAHAHAH PRESTI THE GENIUS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• flyrocket31 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

As a ROCKETS fan, to OKC:

“LOL”

• ProBasketballPundit - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I know your post comes off as total hyperbole by bitter internet commenter… but I have to agree. That was the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my 20+ years of watching NBA basketball.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yep. I live in Oklahoma and I was so excited to finally have a team to root for. I felt so blessed. Not only did I have a team, but I had the coolest team in the league to watch. Harden was my favorite player too. What’s funny is that the night the draft went down I instantly thought “This is TERRIBLE.” But it’s even worse than I originally thought! I can’t even stomach watching them anymore because I have no respect for the organization. So now I root for the Rockets.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Sorry to hear that… I live in Charlotte so you can imagine my utter despondency regarding the pro basketball situation. Bobcats are impossible to root for, but I actually think I’d rather have nothing than to have a great team that gets sold short like the Thunder.

At the time of the trade nobody seemed to know how good Harden actually was. But we all at least knew he was a borderline all-star at least. I remember watching Perkins in the Finals and thinking, this guy is almost obsolete; they should amnesty him and keep Harden. Now it’s even more painful after seeing Harden’s success, Ibaka’s struggles and Perkins’ black hole.

• moseskkim - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It’s all circumstantial and money related. If Westbrook was healthy, this team would’ve gone far in the playoffs. I can’t guarantee anything but he is a game changer for sure. The loss of Westbrook Messed up okc’s offense as Ibaka regressed and KD had to ISO all game. At the time, they needed to get assets before harden got big money. As a small market, they didnt want to pay all that. Perkins was a big mistake but they signed him before ibaka got so good. So don’t say that was the worst trade when u were watching that day because if the thunder won the championship with a healthy Westbrook, u would be singing a different tune.

• padraighansen - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

…..wow, speechless at that post. Why was the trade made? Economics, plain & simple. The total cost of the Harden contract was much greater than the contract itself, and it further impeded OKC’s ability to build complementary talent around RW & KD.

You can say what you will about Kevin Martin & the draft picks, but they would have received nothing in return for Harden when walked after this season.

I realize that you are much smarter, and much more qualified than Sam Presti to run that organization, but given the budget that Presti was given to work with, by not getting Harden inked to the lower value contract, he did the best he can to squeeze value out of a situation where the organization would have lost Harden with no compensation.

It was a huge loss for OKC. No doubt about that. But for Presti to get out of that deal what he did was tremendous.

And if you seriously want to talk about bad trades, that doesn’t land in the top 50 given the circumstances driving the trade.

Here’s one for you: Pat Garrity AND Dirk Nowitzki for Robert Traylor. That might be a top 10 bad trade – but the Harden, considering all of the circumstances, was not.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I am speechless that you got 19 thumbs up for this post… I don’t even know where to start. Impeded ability to build around kd and rw??? You don’t think having the best young SG in the league would help them??? What are you talking about? And “For Presti to get what he got out of that deal was tremendous” is absurd. Btw Harden was under contract this past year and he was a restricted free agent. They could’ve found a way to keep him. It wasn’t impossible like you are saying. Plus even if it was (which it wasn’t) it was foolish to keep ibaka over harden. No one with any kind of basketball knowledge thinks that was smart. They gave up the best young sg in the league for nothing. On Bill Simmons podcast, he had 2 NBA writers on 1) Zach Lowe 2) Brian Windhorst and they absolutely eviscerated that deal. They despised it. So did the basketball geeks I follow on twitter like harabolas voulgaris. So did the guys that run the hardwood paroxysm blog affiliated with ESPN. I’m sure the guys that run this blog hate the trade too. So unless you know more than all the guys that make a living writing about basketball, I will just assume you are completely wrong. Wow I thought all of the trade apologists had gone away. If you are like most people that comment on the internet, You are probably too stubborn and won’t take the time but go to the BS report archives and click on the one with brian windhorst on 5/23. They start talking about the trade at 26:40. If you can listen to that and then say you still think it’s a good trade I will be shocked. But like I said, you probably won’t take the 5 minutes to do it. That would be cool though because I would love to hear your rebuttal to it.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Watchin the draft? They just commented on if they still had harden they could’ve made a run at the title and still would have him under contract to trade him on a grandfather deal and maybe get oladipo or noel. Yeah. Lamb and Kevin martin is better than harden for a year and then a top 2 pick.

• somekat - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

The sixers traded Charles Barkley in his prime for Jeff Hornacek. They also traded Moses Malone for a few used basketballs

Charlotte traded Kobe for an over the hill Divac and a box of doughnuts

The Nets got a pack of Newports for Doctor J

All of these trades are much worse than the Harden deal, what they do all have in common (except the Moses Malone trade), is that they all were done for reasons other than the team trading away the great player thought it would make them a better team. They didn’t do them because they wanted to, but because they had to, for various reasons

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I should have said it was one of the worst trades ever. And they didn’t have to trade Harden. They just didn’t. I’m sick of hearing that.

13. ProBasketballPundit - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I would like to see a rematch of the 2012 NBA Finals where Scott Brooks realized Kendrick Perkins was a terrible matchup and played small ball with Miami. I feel like, sans Perkins, the series would get to 6 or 7 games… probably still a Miami win but much more exciting.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Scott brooks is an awful coach. I was screaming at the tv “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! GET PERKINS AND FISHER OUT OF THE GAME!!!!” What I think is weird is how do I know that was awful but he didn’t? And none of his assistants pointed it out either? Or hell even Sam Presti could’ve called him after game 2 and said “Dude, what the hell are you doing?”

14. sportsnut101 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Perkins is tough tough guy on the team really from the bench. Cuz that’s all unsee him on lmao

Make it three first rd picks n perk n bobcats will jump on this trade it’s only for two yrs n any team can buy him out or amnesty him if they didn’t use there’s up already

Is not like the bobcats going to win a ring this yr or next. Even Detroit should think about it. Start new bad boy image

15. jebdamone - Jun 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM

i would really love to see the thunder make a run at KG

16. shackdelrio - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I wouldn’t give up the 11th pick for Kendrick Perkins and the 12th pick.

17. twoseam2007 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

HAHAHAAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. WHY WOULD ANYONE TAKE ON PERKINS CONTRACT? I’m better than Kendrick Perkins at basketball. He may the least skilled player in the league. He’s a grossly overrated defender and is a detriment on offense. The thunder aren’t moving anywhere in this draft.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches