Jun 26, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
It’s long been believed that the Wizards would select either Anthony Bennett or Otto Porter with the third overall pick in the draft, and some even had Bennett as the frontrunner between the two in recent days.
The latest report, however, says that Porter is now the favorite due to the consensus among league personnel that he’s as close as possible to a can’t-miss prospect.
From Chad Ford of ESPN.com (via HoopsHype):
While the Wizards have a lot of interest in Anthony Bennett, sources say they are now leaning toward taking Porter at No. 3. He fits a need, fits their culture and, like Oladipo, is viewed as a sure thing by many NBA GMs and scouts.
A lot of these reports come down to which of these sources are telling the truth, as opposed to flooding the market with misinformation to try to help their teams.
If in fact the Wizards are now leaning toward Porter, that would obviously throw a wrench in the works of the Bobcats, who were rumored to be shopping Michael Kidd-Gilchrist based on intel that they could land Porter at four.
The reports and rumors are just entertainment as we kill time leading up to Thursday night’s draft. Because until the players’ names are announced by David Stern, we won’t actually know who is going to land where — and that’s more true this year perhaps than it has been in the recent past.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11