Jun 26, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
It’s long been believed that the Wizards would select either Anthony Bennett or Otto Porter with the third overall pick in the draft, and some even had Bennett as the frontrunner between the two in recent days.
The latest report, however, says that Porter is now the favorite due to the consensus among league personnel that he’s as close as possible to a can’t-miss prospect.
From Chad Ford of ESPN.com (via HoopsHype):
While the Wizards have a lot of interest in Anthony Bennett, sources say they are now leaning toward taking Porter at No. 3. He fits a need, fits their culture and, like Oladipo, is viewed as a sure thing by many NBA GMs and scouts.
A lot of these reports come down to which of these sources are telling the truth, as opposed to flooding the market with misinformation to try to help their teams.
If in fact the Wizards are now leaning toward Porter, that would obviously throw a wrench in the works of the Bobcats, who were rumored to be shopping Michael Kidd-Gilchrist based on intel that they could land Porter at four.
The reports and rumors are just entertainment as we kill time leading up to Thursday night’s draft. Because until the players’ names are announced by David Stern, we won’t actually know who is going to land where — and that’s more true this year perhaps than it has been in the recent past.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 0
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18