Jun 26, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
LaMarcus Aldridge is a four. A big four, an All-Star four, but he has been forced to play a lot of five — a lot of center — over the course of his career and that can be hit and miss for him.
So the trail Blazers are targeting a real center this off-season to move Aldridge to his natural spot and give them some depth along the front line.
To do that, they are targeting some restricted free agents (meaning their current teams can match any offer), reports John Canzano at the Oregonian.
A league source said on Monday that the Blazers, who hold the No. 10 pick in the first round, have interest in two restricted free-agent centers: San Antonio’s Tiago Splitter and Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic. This comes after a trade-proposal report that would have the Blazers trading their lottery pick to Phoenix for center Marcin Gortat.
In the long run, Meyers Leonard may be the center the Blazers hope for, but he’s not there yet. He’s a backup right now.
The problem with the two free agents listed is that to get a restricted free agent away from a team — particularly a team that wants to keep him, like the Wolves want Pekovic and the Spurs want Splitter — is you have to make an offer large enough for the other team not to match. You have to overpay. And that doesn’t always help you in the long run.
But you can see what the Blazers are thinking — they want a big man this summer and will spend to get one.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 5
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 7
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 19
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13