Jun 26, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
There are going to be a number of draft day trades this year and the situation will be fluid and unpredictable.
But if you can bet on one thing, it is the Rockets trading Thomas Robinson. They need to move his $3.5 million to offer Dwight Howard a max contract and the Rockets are certainly in the mix to land Howard.
So where do they trade Robinson? Marc Stein of ESPN heard rumblings.
Thomas Robinson to Cavs for No. 19 pick. Thomas Robinson to Bulls for No. 20. Word is both of those scenarios are on table for Rockets—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 26, 2013
If the Rockets get those picks, look for them to draft a player such as Sergey Karasev or Dennis Schroeder who could be stashed overseas for a year or two, freeing up that salary to go after Howard. They may draft a player they like and make another roster move before July 1 (or just after) to free up the cap space.
Robinson would be a good fit on either the Bulls or Cavaliers… or 20 other teams around the league. More offers may come in to Houston (in fact, wouldn’t you leak this if you were the Rockets hoping to get a better offer?).
The Rockets are right up there with the Lakers in terms of the buzz around the league about who lands Howard. Who has the advantage depends upon whom you ask.
Howard is indecisive because he wants to be liked and wants to make everyone happy, and it’s impossible to predict the decisions of people like that.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61