Jun 26, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
There are going to be a number of draft day trades this year and the situation will be fluid and unpredictable.
But if you can bet on one thing, it is the Rockets trading Thomas Robinson. They need to move his $3.5 million to offer Dwight Howard a max contract and the Rockets are certainly in the mix to land Howard.
So where do they trade Robinson? Marc Stein of ESPN heard rumblings.
If the Rockets get those picks, look for them to draft a player such as Sergey Karasev or Dennis Schroeder who could be stashed overseas for a year or two, freeing up that salary to go after Howard. They may draft a player they like and make another roster move before July 1 (or just after) to free up the cap space.
Robinson would be a good fit on either the Bulls or Cavaliers… or 20 other teams around the league. More offers may come in to Houston (in fact, wouldn’t you leak this if you were the Rockets hoping to get a better offer?).
The Rockets are right up there with the Lakers in terms of the buzz around the league about who lands Howard. Who has the advantage depends upon whom you ask.
Howard is indecisive because he wants to be liked and wants to make everyone happy, and it’s impossible to predict the decisions of people like that.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11