Jun 26, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
There are going to be a number of draft day trades this year and the situation will be fluid and unpredictable.
But if you can bet on one thing, it is the Rockets trading Thomas Robinson. They need to move his $3.5 million to offer Dwight Howard a max contract and the Rockets are certainly in the mix to land Howard.
So where do they trade Robinson? Marc Stein of ESPN heard rumblings.
If the Rockets get those picks, look for them to draft a player such as Sergey Karasev or Dennis Schroeder who could be stashed overseas for a year or two, freeing up that salary to go after Howard. They may draft a player they like and make another roster move before July 1 (or just after) to free up the cap space.
Robinson would be a good fit on either the Bulls or Cavaliers… or 20 other teams around the league. More offers may come in to Houston (in fact, wouldn’t you leak this if you were the Rockets hoping to get a better offer?).
The Rockets are right up there with the Lakers in terms of the buzz around the league about who lands Howard. Who has the advantage depends upon whom you ask.
Howard is indecisive because he wants to be liked and wants to make everyone happy, and it’s impossible to predict the decisions of people like that.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18