Jun 26, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
In the wake of Doc Rivers leaving the Celtics to coach the Clippers, and with Boston GM Danny Ainge non-committal on the futures of both Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett with the franchise, it’s only natural that other teams would begin to come calling to check on the availability of the Celtics’ aging stars.
The Brooklyn Nets were apparently first in line, and made the requisite call to the Celtics to inquire about Garnett’s availability.
A future Hall of Famer might become available, so Billy King did his due diligence and made the call.
Multiple sources told the Daily News that the Nets GM inquired about Kevin Garnett’s desire to join Deron Williams in Brooklyn, but King didn’t get an answer while uncertainty surrounds the Celtics.
But it’s no surprise King inquired about Garnett, a 15-time All-Star and former MVP. The Nets not only desire a reliable starting power forward, they could use a vocal and respected leader. Garnett fits the mold.
The call was likely made not to immediately secure Garnett’s services, but to gauge his interest in joining the Brooklyn franchise.
Garnett is one of the very few players in the league to hold a no-trade clause as part of his contract, and he has previously been unwilling to waive it for any team outside of Los Angeles.
If the Celtics choose to bring Pierce and Garnett back for one more season, it’s unlikely that KG would be interested in playing anywhere else. But if Pierce is dealt, anything is on the table where Garnett is concerned, and finishing his career with a playoff team may instantly become more appealing than playing for a lottery team, or choosing retirement a year or two earlier than expected.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10