Jun 26, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
There seems to be a few guys near the top of most draft boards that will be impact players in the league for years to come, but none are at that superstar level that would make them a no-brainer to be selected with the number one overall pick.
That may be why the Cavaliers were looking into trading the top pick in the draft, albeit with a ridiculously high asking price. But it’s also a reason that reports have Cleveland still undecided as who to take with that critical pick, though it appears more and more like they are leaning in a particular direction.
The Cleveland Cavaliers are still leaning towards Maryland’s Alex Len with the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, per a source…..
An underrated storyline 4 Cavs/Len per sources is Cleveland hired Vitaly Potapenko as player development coach. Like Len, a Ukraine native.
Aran Smith also has Len going number one at the top of his mock draft over at HoopsHype.
It’s possible the Cavs could still trade the pick if they lower their expectations of what they’re open to receiving in return, but if they retain it, they should select whomever they feel makes the most sense for their team as opposed to going with the consensus top talent on the board.
Again, all of these reports are interesting, but we have little assurance as to what’s real and what isn’t until these picks are made. But if you want to look at one more piece of information that might give us a clue as to what the Cavs are thinking, check out their owner Dan Gilbert’s Twitter page, and look at who he’s following.
Gilbert follows just 409 people, and one of them is Victor Oladipo.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)