Report: Cavaliers targeting Alex Len with first overall pick in the draft

Jun 26, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT

Alex Len AP

There seems to be a few guys near the top of most draft boards that will be impact players in the league for years to come, but none are at that superstar level that would make them a no-brainer to be selected with the number one overall pick.

That may be why the Cavaliers were looking into trading the top pick in the draft, albeit with a ridiculously high asking price. But it’s also a reason that reports have Cleveland still undecided as who to take with that critical pick, though it appears more and more like they are leaning in a particular direction.

From Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports Network:

The Cleveland Cavaliers are still leaning towards Maryland’s Alex Len with the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, per a source…..

An underrated storyline 4 Cavs/Len per sources is Cleveland hired Vitaly Potapenko as player development coach. Like Len, a Ukraine native.

Aran Smith also has Len going number one at the top of his mock draft over at HoopsHype.

It’s possible the Cavs could still trade the pick if they lower their expectations of what they’re open to receiving in return, but if they retain it, they should select whomever they feel makes the most sense for their team as opposed to going with the consensus top talent on the board.

Again, all of these reports are interesting, but we have little assurance as to what’s real and what isn’t until these picks are made. But if you want to look at one more piece of information that might give us a clue as to what the Cavs are thinking, check out their owner Dan Gilbert’s Twitter page, and look at who he’s following.

Gilbert follows just 409 people, and one of them is Victor Oladipo.

1. justinnoah - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I’m a little biased because I’m an IU grad and huge, huge fan of Victor Oladipo… but why in the world would they draft Lin over Oladipo? I’m not saying Oladipo is going to win MVP’s in the league (ya never know), but without a doubt he will be a contributor in his first NBA game… and him and Kyrie Irving would be a kick-butt duo for the Cavs.

2. pl4tinum514 - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Didn’t know you read RealCavsFans, Brett :)

3. 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Olowakandi

• duvisited - Jun 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

An optimistic scenario for Len. Does he even like basketball?

4. wgray981 - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Hmm idk it seems like those 7ft players always have a lot of hype and then are injury prone or busts.
    Many times it seems that their height is the only reason they succeeded in college. That won’t be the case in the NBA (though it helps).

• 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM

25-30 years ago that wouldn’t have been the case with #1 overall C’s with the likes of Olajuwon, Ewing, Daugherty, and Robinson.

But then since the Olowakandi draft you got C’s like…

Olowakandi (bust in a weak draft)
      Kwame (bust)
      Yao (forever injured, career cut short)
      Dwight Howard (insert joke here*, you would be wrong, but you know you want to)
      Bogut (staying injured is a hobby for this cat)
      Bargnani (not quite a bust, not quite injury prone, but really not a worthy #1)
      Oden (IDC what you say…BUUUUSSSST! Injury prone, whatever you want to call him)
      and then you have Anthony Davis. If you want to count him as a C or not is up to you. I put him as a PF so I really don’t count him.

So yeah, you’d be right to think that.

5. 00maltliquor - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this just doesn’t make any sense on the Cavs part? They already got Anderson Varejao, who before the injury was just in full on beast mode. Even if (maybe more like when) they trade him, they still got Tyler Zeller, who I think is better then Len anyways, now and in the future.

The Cavs need a legit SF in the worst kind of way. They can’t draft Porter or trade the pick for a SF that’s already established that could be moved, like a Granger? Len doesn’t seem worth it to me at all from what I’ve seen of him.

I mean, it would be a far better move trading that #1 to POR for Myers Leonard and another sweetener (maybe asking for their lottery pick may be pushing it, but that’s where I’d start off with). I really don’t care what happens to the franchise owned by Dan Gilbert, so I kind of hope he does it, but I really deep down inside hate to see teams that are building something potentially special mess things up.

For me as a complete fan of the sport, I like to see all teams with the right pieces and a chance to be interesting and compete. The last think I want to see is a game on TV or at the sports bar or sports books in Vegas and be like, “ugh, Bobcats vs. Raptors…….forget the beer, give me some coffee so I can stay awake for this.”

6. bigmeechy74 - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I would take oladipo. I think he is going to be really good. I think Mclemore has the most talent but he is a bit of a head case. I just can’t imagine 5 years from now saying “Wow the cavs really hit a home run with that alex len pick!”

7. thecooz - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I really can’t understand how anyone can consider taking Alex Len so high, especially number 1 overall. Consider that he wasn’t even the best center in the ACC this year. He didn’t get chosen to the All ACC 1st Team, nor was he chosen for the 2nd or 3rd Team. He was given an honorable mention. Give me a break!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches