Jun 26, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
There seems to be a few guys near the top of most draft boards that will be impact players in the league for years to come, but none are at that superstar level that would make them a no-brainer to be selected with the number one overall pick.
That may be why the Cavaliers were looking into trading the top pick in the draft, albeit with a ridiculously high asking price. But it’s also a reason that reports have Cleveland still undecided as who to take with that critical pick, though it appears more and more like they are leaning in a particular direction.
The Cleveland Cavaliers are still leaning towards Maryland’s Alex Len with the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, per a source…..
An underrated storyline 4 Cavs/Len per sources is Cleveland hired Vitaly Potapenko as player development coach. Like Len, a Ukraine native.
Aran Smith also has Len going number one at the top of his mock draft over at HoopsHype.
It’s possible the Cavs could still trade the pick if they lower their expectations of what they’re open to receiving in return, but if they retain it, they should select whomever they feel makes the most sense for their team as opposed to going with the consensus top talent on the board.
Again, all of these reports are interesting, but we have little assurance as to what’s real and what isn’t until these picks are made. But if you want to look at one more piece of information that might give us a clue as to what the Cavs are thinking, check out their owner Dan Gilbert’s Twitter page, and look at who he’s following.
Gilbert follows just 409 people, and one of them is Victor Oladipo.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5