Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Why do you think Flip Saunders was brought in to be the new general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves? Yes, David Kahn’s act was old, but Saunders is there with one goal — repair the team’s relationship with Kevin Love so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. By all accounts that effort is going well so far.
So, you think Saunders is going to trade Love?
No. But the Cavaliers asked because they have that No. 1 pick and all. Sure, it’s a down draft where there will be no player as good as Love to come out of it, but they tried anyway, reports Andy Katz of ESPN, writing at TrueHoop.
I imagine before Saunders said no, he asked for a second so he could go in the other room and laugh.
Honestly, not a bad package, but Minnesota is not giving up Love. No chance. He’s not being traded this summer or in the next year. Minnesota with Love, a healthy Ricky Rubio, Chase Budinger, a returning Nikola Pekovic, are a playoff team in the West.
And if they start to win, and Saunders treats him well, Love may well want stick around when his option comes up. That’s Saunders goal, not a nice trade package.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0