Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Why do you think Flip Saunders was brought in to be the new general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves? Yes, David Kahn’s act was old, but Saunders is there with one goal — repair the team’s relationship with Kevin Love so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. By all accounts that effort is going well so far.
So, you think Saunders is going to trade Love?
No. But the Cavaliers asked because they have that No. 1 pick and all. Sure, it’s a down draft where there will be no player as good as Love to come out of it, but they tried anyway, reports Andy Katz of ESPN, writing at TrueHoop.
I imagine before Saunders said no, he asked for a second so he could go in the other room and laugh.
Honestly, not a bad package, but Minnesota is not giving up Love. No chance. He’s not being traded this summer or in the next year. Minnesota with Love, a healthy Ricky Rubio, Chase Budinger, a returning Nikola Pekovic, are a playoff team in the West.
And if they start to win, and Saunders treats him well, Love may well want stick around when his option comes up. That’s Saunders goal, not a nice trade package.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 1
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 8
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 14
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35