Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Why do you think Flip Saunders was brought in to be the new general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves? Yes, David Kahn’s act was old, but Saunders is there with one goal — repair the team’s relationship with Kevin Love so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. By all accounts that effort is going well so far.
So, you think Saunders is going to trade Love?
No. But the Cavaliers asked because they have that No. 1 pick and all. Sure, it’s a down draft where there will be no player as good as Love to come out of it, but they tried anyway, reports Andy Katz of ESPN, writing at TrueHoop.
I imagine before Saunders said no, he asked for a second so he could go in the other room and laugh.
Honestly, not a bad package, but Minnesota is not giving up Love. No chance. He’s not being traded this summer or in the next year. Minnesota with Love, a healthy Ricky Rubio, Chase Budinger, a returning Nikola Pekovic, are a playoff team in the West.
And if they start to win, and Saunders treats him well, Love may well want stick around when his option comes up. That’s Saunders goal, not a nice trade package.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 35
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23