Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Why do you think Flip Saunders was brought in to be the new general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves? Yes, David Kahn’s act was old, but Saunders is there with one goal — repair the team’s relationship with Kevin Love so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. By all accounts that effort is going well so far.
So, you think Saunders is going to trade Love?
No. But the Cavaliers asked because they have that No. 1 pick and all. Sure, it’s a down draft where there will be no player as good as Love to come out of it, but they tried anyway, reports Andy Katz of ESPN, writing at TrueHoop.
I imagine before Saunders said no, he asked for a second so he could go in the other room and laugh.
Honestly, not a bad package, but Minnesota is not giving up Love. No chance. He’s not being traded this summer or in the next year. Minnesota with Love, a healthy Ricky Rubio, Chase Budinger, a returning Nikola Pekovic, are a playoff team in the West.
And if they start to win, and Saunders treats him well, Love may well want stick around when his option comes up. That’s Saunders goal, not a nice trade package.
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 3
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 79
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11