Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Why do you think Flip Saunders was brought in to be the new general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves? Yes, David Kahn’s act was old, but Saunders is there with one goal — repair the team’s relationship with Kevin Love so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. By all accounts that effort is going well so far.
So, you think Saunders is going to trade Love?
No. But the Cavaliers asked because they have that No. 1 pick and all. Sure, it’s a down draft where there will be no player as good as Love to come out of it, but they tried anyway, reports Andy Katz of ESPN, writing at TrueHoop.
I imagine before Saunders said no, he asked for a second so he could go in the other room and laugh.
Honestly, not a bad package, but Minnesota is not giving up Love. No chance. He’s not being traded this summer or in the next year. Minnesota with Love, a healthy Ricky Rubio, Chase Budinger, a returning Nikola Pekovic, are a playoff team in the West.
And if they start to win, and Saunders treats him well, Love may well want stick around when his option comes up. That’s Saunders goal, not a nice trade package.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 8
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 6
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)