Jun 26, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:34 pm: It didn’t take that long for him to decide.
Not long after Doc Rivers was formally introduced as the Clippers head coach, Alvin Gentry said he would become part of Doc’s staff, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles. Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni signed off on this (not that he had much of a choice).
11:33 am: Former Suns head coach Alvin Gentry was a candidate to be a head coach with a few teams this offseason, but the clubs he interviewed with ended up going in other directions.
That doesn’t mean Gentry will be out of the coaching game next season, however, as he now has offers to join the staffs of both NBA teams in Los Angeles.
Alvin Gentry will soon decide between an offer to be an assistant coach on Mike D’Antoni’s staff with the Los Angeles Lakers and an invitation to be an associate head coach on Doc Rivers’ new staff with the Los Angeles Clippers, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Tuesday night.
The ties to the current Lakers team, with Mike D’Antoni as head coach and Steve Nash in place as the starting point guard, would make the Lakers a comfortable choice.
The Clippers job is much more intriguing, though, considering the title proposed for Gentry’s position, as well as the additional responsibilities granted to new head coach Doc Rivers.
Rivers received the Senior VP of Basketball Operations title to go along with his head coaching gig, which might mean he could look to move permanently into the front office before coaching for the three full seasons on his contract. Should that happen, Gentry would essentially be next in line, which would make the Clippers job more appealing, and a better long-term situation to become a part of than the inherently volatile one being offered by the Lakers.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20