Jun 26, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
There is a significant portion of Lakers fans who don’t want Dwight Howard to walk as a free agent. It’s not hard to find them on twitter. The idea is you just get terrible for a year (meaning Kobe sits out a lot of the season), you take your chances in the lottery then in 2014 you have a lot of cap space (only Steve Nash is on the books) to rebuild fast through free agency.
The smarter and more sure strategy is to bring Howard back then build your future around him — healthy he is the best center in the game.
This is the strategy the Lakers are pursuing — Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has made it clear every time asked that Dwight Howard is at the heart of the Lakers plans for the future.
And now the Lakers have started their public campaign, complete with a twitter hashtag. The banner you see to the right (and at the bottom of the post) was up on the side of Staples Center Wednesday.
Will it work? Who knows? Around the league it’s seen as a coin toss between the Lakers and Rockets.
Howard is a guy who likes to make everyone happy, and people like that tend to be indecisive because you can’t succeed at that goal. Predicting what he will do is impossible; I bet even Howard doesn’t know what he is going to do.
Who knows how much this kind of banner and campaign helps? But for a guy concerned about his image, it can’t hurt.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16