Jun 26, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
There is a significant portion of Lakers fans who don’t want Dwight Howard to walk as a free agent. It’s not hard to find them on twitter. The idea is you just get terrible for a year (meaning Kobe sits out a lot of the season), you take your chances in the lottery then in 2014 you have a lot of cap space (only Steve Nash is on the books) to rebuild fast through free agency.
The smarter and more sure strategy is to bring Howard back then build your future around him — healthy he is the best center in the game.
This is the strategy the Lakers are pursuing — Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has made it clear every time asked that Dwight Howard is at the heart of the Lakers plans for the future.
And now the Lakers have started their public campaign, complete with a twitter hashtag. The banner you see to the right (and at the bottom of the post) was up on the side of Staples Center Wednesday.
Will it work? Who knows? Around the league it’s seen as a coin toss between the Lakers and Rockets.
Howard is a guy who likes to make everyone happy, and people like that tend to be indecisive because you can’t succeed at that goal. Predicting what he will do is impossible; I bet even Howard doesn’t know what he is going to do.
Who knows how much this kind of banner and campaign helps? But for a guy concerned about his image, it can’t hurt.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22