Kentavious Caldwell-Pope implies he’ll get drafted by Timberwolves or Trail Blazers

Jun 26, 2013, 11:31 PM EST

NBA Draft Basketball

NEW YORK – Many prospects scan mock drafts, though few admit it. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is one of the rare players who’s copped to looking at mocks, so he knew he was viewed as a mid- to late-first round pick when Georgia’s season ended.

That made it extra sweet when, at home with his mother, Caldwell-Pope opened an email that said he’d been invited to the NBA Draft green room. He smiled as he realized the NBA believed he’d likely be picked in the upper part of the first round.

“Just moving up in the draft, it just made me proud of myself,” Caldwell-Pope said.

Caldwell-Pope said he’s worked out with the Timberwolves (No. 9), Trail Blazers (No. 10), Mavericks (No. 13), Bucks (No. 15), Celtics (No. 16) and Cavaliers (No. 19).

“It would be surprising just to go to a team that I didn’t work out for,” Caldwell-Pope said. “They haven’t seen me, what I can do. it would just be surprising to me.”

He also said that he expects to be a top-10 pick.

So, Caldwell-Pope doesn’t need to read another mock draft to get a read on his stock. It sounds like he has a firm grasp already. Connect the dots, and he expects to go to the Timberwolves or Trail Blazers.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis out Friday night vs. Clippers due to abdominal strain

Jan 30, 2015, 6:56 PM EST

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

This is not a serious injury, but they will miss him defending Blake Griffin.

2. Rumor: Heat, Clippers, Cavaliers interested in Mo Williams

Jan 30, 2015, 5:59 PM EST

Mo Williams AP

All of those teams could use point guard depth.

3. Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game

Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“So if you see me diving on the floor and people say ‘what is he doing?’ I can’t help but be the player that I am.” —Jimmy Butler on playing in the All-Star Game

4. LeBron James reportedly asked Adam Silver for longer All-Star break, fewer back-to-backs

Jan 30, 2015, 2:09 PM EST

2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman Of The Year Award Presentation - Arrivals Getty Images

NBA Commissioner has delivered on All-Star Break. Back-to-backs next?

5. Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy

Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Will center stick with Mavericks this time?

6. Mike Dunleavy is smooooth

Jan 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Sliding into your DMs like…

7. DeMarcus Cousins wins.

Jan 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EST

Kings center waits five years, burns Clay Travis for tweet

8. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

9. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

10. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches