Jun 26, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT
NEW YORK – Many prospects scan mock drafts, though few admit it. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is one of the rare players who’s copped to looking at mocks, so he knew he was viewed as a mid- to late-first round pick when Georgia’s season ended.
That made it extra sweet when, at home with his mother, Caldwell-Pope opened an email that said he’d been invited to the NBA Draft green room. He smiled as he realized the NBA believed he’d likely be picked in the upper part of the first round.
“Just moving up in the draft, it just made me proud of myself,” Caldwell-Pope said.
Caldwell-Pope said he’s worked out with the Timberwolves (No. 9), Trail Blazers (No. 10), Mavericks (No. 13), Bucks (No. 15), Celtics (No. 16) and Cavaliers (No. 19).
“It would be surprising just to go to a team that I didn’t work out for,” Caldwell-Pope said. “They haven’t seen me, what I can do. it would just be surprising to me.”
He also said that he expects to be a top-10 pick.
So, Caldwell-Pope doesn’t need to read another mock draft to get a read on his stock. It sounds like he has a firm grasp already. Connect the dots, and he expects to go to the Timberwolves or Trail Blazers.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42