Jun 26, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT
NEW YORK – Many prospects scan mock drafts, though few admit it. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is one of the rare players who’s copped to looking at mocks, so he knew he was viewed as a mid- to late-first round pick when Georgia’s season ended.
That made it extra sweet when, at home with his mother, Caldwell-Pope opened an email that said he’d been invited to the NBA Draft green room. He smiled as he realized the NBA believed he’d likely be picked in the upper part of the first round.
“Just moving up in the draft, it just made me proud of myself,” Caldwell-Pope said.
Caldwell-Pope said he’s worked out with the Timberwolves (No. 9), Trail Blazers (No. 10), Mavericks (No. 13), Bucks (No. 15), Celtics (No. 16) and Cavaliers (No. 19).
“It would be surprising just to go to a team that I didn’t work out for,” Caldwell-Pope said. “They haven’t seen me, what I can do. it would just be surprising to me.”
He also said that he expects to be a top-10 pick.
So, Caldwell-Pope doesn’t need to read another mock draft to get a read on his stock. It sounds like he has a firm grasp already. Connect the dots, and he expects to go to the Timberwolves or Trail Blazers.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17