Jun 26, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Didn’t we all pretty much know this is how it went down?
There has always been a bit of a cloud of mystery around Jerry Sloan’s sudden mid-season departure from the Utah Jazz a couple years back (followed by Deron Williams getting traded away a few weeks later). Sloan and D-Will were at loggerheads often enough, that always seemed at the core of it.
Utah Jazz owner and CEO Greg Miller confirmed that in some detail for the first time this week, speaking with the Associated Press.
Miller said it started when Sloan and Deron Williams got into an argument at halftime about the final play before the half. Sloan walked away from the team toward his office and past Miller, saying: “I’d like to have a word with you after the game.”
Williams shot back, “Yeah, I want to be in the meeting too.”
“Do you want me to quit right now,” Sloan replied.
After the game (a Jazz loss to the Bulls) Miller said he went into Sloan’s office to have that meeting.
“Jerry, I know this is frustrating,” Miller said. “But we’re just going to have to muscle through it.”
“I’ve been at this a long time and there is nothing left in the tank,” Miller recalled Sloan saying. “I think I’m done.”
“C’mon, Jerry,” Miller said.
“No, I’m serious,” Sloan said. “I’m out of gas.”
And that was it. Sloan walked away, Tyron Corbin became the coach and a few weeks later Williams was shipped to the Nets.
The Jazz have now brought back Sloan in a consultant’s role, which is a good fit for both sides. But the Jazz still need a point guard and are still trying to reshape their roster in the wake of that shakeup (they have a lot of questions with Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap as free agents this summer).
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 16
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 44
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 22
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now 35
- Report: Michael Jordan’s wife pregnant with twin girls 8
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (46)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (42)