Jun 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The NBA Draft is in two days, and we still don’t know who will be the No. 1 pick. Nerlens Noel has been the favorite, but every hour that passes without the Cavaliers tipping their hand, the more likely it seems they’ll pick someone else.
Noel, at least publically, hasn’t fretted about that possibility. Maybe it’s because he knows he wouldn’t fall far.
Sources close to the Orlando Magic told ESPN.com on Saturday that if the Cavs pass on Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel, the Magic are leaning strongly toward selecting him with the No. 2 pick in the draft.
If it weren’t for his knee injury, Noel would definitely be the top pick in this draft. Even with it – assuming the public perception is true, that Noel’s knee is healing just fine and doesn’t seemed destined for more problems – I’d still choose Noel at No. 1. He was just that impressive at Kentucky, showing incredible athleticism, strong defense and an improving offensive game.
For the Magic, Noel would come with an added bonus. They’re not contending next season, anyway, so if he misses part of the season, that would help the Magic’s lottery positioning in 2014. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, seem to have a stronger desire to make the playoffs in 2014.
The Cavaliers will definitely get their No. 1 choice (barring a trade), but the Magic might, too.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46