Jun 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The NBA Draft is in two days, and we still don’t know who will be the No. 1 pick. Nerlens Noel has been the favorite, but every hour that passes without the Cavaliers tipping their hand, the more likely it seems they’ll pick someone else.
Noel, at least publically, hasn’t fretted about that possibility. Maybe it’s because he knows he wouldn’t fall far.
Sources close to the Orlando Magic told ESPN.com on Saturday that if the Cavs pass on Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel, the Magic are leaning strongly toward selecting him with the No. 2 pick in the draft.
If it weren’t for his knee injury, Noel would definitely be the top pick in this draft. Even with it – assuming the public perception is true, that Noel’s knee is healing just fine and doesn’t seemed destined for more problems – I’d still choose Noel at No. 1. He was just that impressive at Kentucky, showing incredible athleticism, strong defense and an improving offensive game.
For the Magic, Noel would come with an added bonus. They’re not contending next season, anyway, so if he misses part of the season, that would help the Magic’s lottery positioning in 2014. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, seem to have a stronger desire to make the playoffs in 2014.
The Cavaliers will definitely get their No. 1 choice (barring a trade), but the Magic might, too.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 12
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7