Jun 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The NBA Draft is in two days, and we still don’t know who will be the No. 1 pick. Nerlens Noel has been the favorite, but every hour that passes without the Cavaliers tipping their hand, the more likely it seems they’ll pick someone else.
Noel, at least publically, hasn’t fretted about that possibility. Maybe it’s because he knows he wouldn’t fall far.
Sources close to the Orlando Magic told ESPN.com on Saturday that if the Cavs pass on Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel, the Magic are leaning strongly toward selecting him with the No. 2 pick in the draft.
If it weren’t for his knee injury, Noel would definitely be the top pick in this draft. Even with it – assuming the public perception is true, that Noel’s knee is healing just fine and doesn’t seemed destined for more problems – I’d still choose Noel at No. 1. He was just that impressive at Kentucky, showing incredible athleticism, strong defense and an improving offensive game.
For the Magic, Noel would come with an added bonus. They’re not contending next season, anyway, so if he misses part of the season, that would help the Magic’s lottery positioning in 2014. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, seem to have a stronger desire to make the playoffs in 2014.
The Cavaliers will definitely get their No. 1 choice (barring a trade), but the Magic might, too.
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 11
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 17
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 51
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22