Jun 25, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
When word leaked out Monday that NBA Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen was involved in an altercation outside a Malibu restaurant Sunday, the initial report was clearly from the perspective of the other person involved. They said Pippen broke he guy’s teeth, knocked him out and left the scene.
But the fact that police interviewed Pippen and didn’t arrest him (they said the investigation would continue) should give you a hint things aren’t quite as first described.
And on Tuesday, Pippen’s people were playing defense — and playing it well, like the man himself did back with the Bulls.
That starts with a statement from the Sheriff’s spokesman that the other person involved was intoxicated. There is more from the New York Daily News.
But a source said Pippen was the real victim. The fan started the tussle, spit on the ex-athlete and screamed the called him the N-word, the source said, adding that Pippen was holding his 4-year-old daughter at the time.
“Can you imagine, you’re out to dinner with your wife, your four kids and your mother-in-law, and someone calls you the N-word and starts to get physical?” the source said, calling the alleged victim’s story a “crock.”
“When Scottie left, this guy had no injuries,” said the source. “Scottie is very upset about the way this has been portrayed.”
As a former police/crime reporter, rule No. 1 is nobody is telling the police the full truth in an altercation with drunken people. So take everything everybody says with a grain of salt.
But the fact Pippen has not been charged and the sheriff is saying the other guy was intoxicated suggests Pippen wasn’t the guy that was the real problem, here. Could this be a situation where Pippen, out with his family, rebuffed a drunk guy’s request for an autograph or whatever and the other guy snapped first? Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 62
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32