Jun 25, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
When word leaked out Monday that NBA Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen was involved in an altercation outside a Malibu restaurant Sunday, the initial report was clearly from the perspective of the other person involved. They said Pippen broke he guy’s teeth, knocked him out and left the scene.
But the fact that police interviewed Pippen and didn’t arrest him (they said the investigation would continue) should give you a hint things aren’t quite as first described.
And on Tuesday, Pippen’s people were playing defense — and playing it well, like the man himself did back with the Bulls.
That starts with a statement from the Sheriff’s spokesman that the other person involved was intoxicated. There is more from the New York Daily News.
But a source said Pippen was the real victim. The fan started the tussle, spit on the ex-athlete and screamed the called him the N-word, the source said, adding that Pippen was holding his 4-year-old daughter at the time.
“Can you imagine, you’re out to dinner with your wife, your four kids and your mother-in-law, and someone calls you the N-word and starts to get physical?” the source said, calling the alleged victim’s story a “crock.”
“When Scottie left, this guy had no injuries,” said the source. “Scottie is very upset about the way this has been portrayed.”
As a former police/crime reporter, rule No. 1 is nobody is telling the police the full truth in an altercation with drunken people. So take everything everybody says with a grain of salt.
But the fact Pippen has not been charged and the sheriff is saying the other guy was intoxicated suggests Pippen wasn’t the guy that was the real problem, here. Could this be a situation where Pippen, out with his family, rebuffed a drunk guy’s request for an autograph or whatever and the other guy snapped first? Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40