Jun 25, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s unlikely LeBron James is leaving the Miami Heat in the summer of 2014.
But that isn’t going to stop the dreamers in Cleveland and Los Angeles, not is it going to stop 12 months of speculation from all corners of the sports world. Because in the absence of facts we speculate.
LeBron James got asked about his plans for the 2014 summer on Tuesday and he gave the same kind of non-answer we heard during the year of speculation in Cleveland before he left in 2010. And that didn’t exactly calm things down back then. Although to be fair this time he hinted this time about staying put.
James said Tuesday that he is not thinking about the possibility of becoming a free agent in 12 months, though he did acknowledge that the prospects of competing with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Erik Spoelstra and Pat Riley for several more championships with the Miami Heat is more than a tiny bit intriguing.
“That’s the goal,” James said. “That’s the ultimate finish. And we all hope that can happen, obviously…”
What about the flood of questions and speculation coming next season?
“I’ve been in this position before,” James said. “I’ve heard it before. It can’t get any worse than my season before I became a free agent in 2010.”
I don’t know, after a couple of titles I think it can get worse. Not talking about it creates a vacuum and the Internet abhors a vacuum — there will be rumors and speculation at the speed of twitter.
I think we’re going to hear a lot about it for the next year. Especially since LeBron isn’t going to talk about it.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 8
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11