Jun 25, 2013, 8:23 PM EST
It’s unlikely LeBron James is leaving the Miami Heat in the summer of 2014.
But that isn’t going to stop the dreamers in Cleveland and Los Angeles, not is it going to stop 12 months of speculation from all corners of the sports world. Because in the absence of facts we speculate.
LeBron James got asked about his plans for the 2014 summer on Tuesday and he gave the same kind of non-answer we heard during the year of speculation in Cleveland before he left in 2010. And that didn’t exactly calm things down back then. Although to be fair this time he hinted this time about staying put.
James said Tuesday that he is not thinking about the possibility of becoming a free agent in 12 months, though he did acknowledge that the prospects of competing with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Erik Spoelstra and Pat Riley for several more championships with the Miami Heat is more than a tiny bit intriguing.
“That’s the goal,” James said. “That’s the ultimate finish. And we all hope that can happen, obviously…”
What about the flood of questions and speculation coming next season?
“I’ve been in this position before,” James said. “I’ve heard it before. It can’t get any worse than my season before I became a free agent in 2010.”
I don’t know, after a couple of titles I think it can get worse. Not talking about it creates a vacuum and the Internet abhors a vacuum — there will be rumors and speculation at the speed of twitter.
I think we’re going to hear a lot about it for the next year. Especially since LeBron isn’t going to talk about it.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1