Ginobili writes in Argentinian paper he doesn’t plan to retire

Jun 25, 2013, 5:16 PM EST

BKN-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-HEAT-GAME 7 Getty Images

Manu Ginobili is not the biggest sports star in Argentina — hello Messi — but he is up there near the top.

His fans in Argentina are wondering the same thing his fans in San Antonio (and there are a lot of them) are: How much longer is he going to be playing?

He wants to play at least another year he wrote for a paper in Argentina, as reported and translated by the San Antonio Express-News.

“After much thinking, going over and over the bad plays, I feel better and content in spite of the bad outcome, and I find it difficult to believe that I won’t play anymore,” he wrote in La Nación.

“I don’t feel exhausted or frustrated playing basketball, I mean not enough to say I’m done. I don’t know about everything; I haven’t made a decision, but I see it is unlikely that I will not play anymore.

“I try not to let the tree in front of me block the forest. This is practically an unbeatable situation in sports. A moment of anger and frustration should not cloud the day-to-day and how well I am doing over here.

“… I think they want me here again; but I’m not certain because I still can’t talk to the franchise” under NBA rules.

The Spurs likely do want Ginobili back and will talk to him on July 1, but at a healthy pay cut from the $14.1 million he made last year. Also his role may shrink as the Spurs try to transition more to younger legs like Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green.

While he’s a free agent, it’s hard to picture Ginobili anywhere else. His popularity in San Antonio will help with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

2. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

3. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

4. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

5. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

6. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

7. Report: Hornets pull Lance Stephenson off trade block

Dec 19, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

Heat and Nets among teams that showed interest

8. Mark Cuban finalized Rajon Rondo trade while on set for The Colbert Report finale

Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 AM EST

Mavericks owner, one of many celebrities singing off Stephen Colbert, had his priorities in line

9. Carmelo Anthony turning down the Bulls was a blessing in disguise for Chicago

Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Carmelo Anthony Carmelo Anthony

The Bulls are better off with their depth and flexibility.

10. Draymond Green ruins Stephen Curry’s behind-the-back highlight (video)

Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors

Warriors forward blows dunk, does everything else right in win over Thunder

11. Mike Malone “surprised” he was fired by Sacramento Kings

Dec 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He will get another shot at being a head coach in the NBA. He deserves it.

12. Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 AM EST

Rajon Rondo AP

Rondo moves the Mavs into contender status in the West. Problem is that is a crowded field.

13. Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative.

Dec 19, 2014, 12:46 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

The team officially described the sprain as “mild.”

14. Phil Jackson takes to Twitter to defend Knicks trading Tyson Chandler to Mavericks

Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST

Phil Jackson, James Dolan, executive chairman of the Madison Square Garden Company AP

Phil responds to an article ripping the Knicks for making the deal.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches