Ginobili writes in Argentinian paper he doesn’t plan to retire

Jun 25, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT

BKN-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-HEAT-GAME 7 Getty Images

Manu Ginobili is not the biggest sports star in Argentina — hello Messi — but he is up there near the top.

His fans in Argentina are wondering the same thing his fans in San Antonio (and there are a lot of them) are: How much longer is he going to be playing?

He wants to play at least another year he wrote for a paper in Argentina, as reported and translated by the San Antonio Express-News.

“After much thinking, going over and over the bad plays, I feel better and content in spite of the bad outcome, and I find it difficult to believe that I won’t play anymore,” he wrote in La Nación.

“I don’t feel exhausted or frustrated playing basketball, I mean not enough to say I’m done. I don’t know about everything; I haven’t made a decision, but I see it is unlikely that I will not play anymore.

“I try not to let the tree in front of me block the forest. This is practically an unbeatable situation in sports. A moment of anger and frustration should not cloud the day-to-day and how well I am doing over here.

“… I think they want me here again; but I’m not certain because I still can’t talk to the franchise” under NBA rules.

The Spurs likely do want Ginobili back and will talk to him on July 1, but at a healthy pay cut from the $14.1 million he made last year. Also his role may shrink as the Spurs try to transition more to younger legs like Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green.

While he’s a free agent, it’s hard to picture Ginobili anywhere else. His popularity in San Antonio will help with that.

1. cantonbound13 - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Good to see he’s alive after the mugging in game 7 by 3 Heat players.

• rod2771 - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Well hey Ritchie, glad to see you’re alive after your disappearing act after game 7. Not!

• cantonbound13 - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Who’s Richie? And what disappearing act? I’ve been here, you’re the hypocrite that disappeared after game 5.

• rod2771 - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

C’mon Ritchie. The first step is to admit you have a problem. Geez I can’t believe you root for my beloved Dolphins.

• canes305 - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM

had the refs blown the whistle after his 1st 4 steps,the play would have been over before he got mugged

2. spthegr8 - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Manu is a TOUGH competitor. He won’t let his sub-par finals performance be the last chapter in his legacy. He’ll be back with a vengeance!! I’ve seen what he can do when he gets going. He scorched my squad ( the Lakers ) more times then I’d like to remember!!

3. pmx8411 - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

One last run for this great Argentinian hooper

4. bucrightoff - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I think he’s going to have the re-invent his game, because he seemed so wild and out of control the entire playoffs.

5. rickyspanish - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I hope San Antonio signs him. I couldn’t imagine him in another uniform.

6. ragingmouse - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Too bad…

7. barkley4life - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM

If you’re still whining about calls a week later you’re an idiot. And if your over 30 trolling forums your just helpless.

Just like the Celtic fans on here who argued pissed and moaned that Celtics were neck and neck with the Heat but Avery Bradley this injury that blah blah

MORONS

8. quickrespond - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM

the only person who could replace GINOBILI is James Harden and there is know way he will ever find his way to san antonio

9. jzone954 - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You can tell as of this point knick
    Fans are just sour at the Miami Heat….as well as Cleveland fans, Celtic fans, and Bulls fans…..that was the only thing missing from this historic season for Miami … Is that the Knicks couldn’t make it to the big one vs Miami , because let’s be honest……we ALL know how that outcome turns out.

• hehateme2 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM

The Heat would have destroyed the knicks. They aren’t winners.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches