Jun 25, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
Manu Ginobili is not the biggest sports star in Argentina — hello Messi — but he is up there near the top.
His fans in Argentina are wondering the same thing his fans in San Antonio (and there are a lot of them) are: How much longer is he going to be playing?
He wants to play at least another year he wrote for a paper in Argentina, as reported and translated by the San Antonio Express-News.
“After much thinking, going over and over the bad plays, I feel better and content in spite of the bad outcome, and I find it difficult to believe that I won’t play anymore,” he wrote in La Nación.
“I don’t feel exhausted or frustrated playing basketball, I mean not enough to say I’m done. I don’t know about everything; I haven’t made a decision, but I see it is unlikely that I will not play anymore.
“I try not to let the tree in front of me block the forest. This is practically an unbeatable situation in sports. A moment of anger and frustration should not cloud the day-to-day and how well I am doing over here.
“… I think they want me here again; but I’m not certain because I still can’t talk to the franchise” under NBA rules.
The Spurs likely do want Ginobili back and will talk to him on July 1, but at a healthy pay cut from the $14.1 million he made last year. Also his role may shrink as the Spurs try to transition more to younger legs like Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green.
While he’s a free agent, it’s hard to picture Ginobili anywhere else. His popularity in San Antonio will help with that.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4