Danny Ainge isn’t going to coach Celtics, clearly didn’t like Doc leaving

Jun 25, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT

Danny Ainge AP

Danny Ainge didn’t sound like a happy man.

It’s not anything he said directly, just the overall tone of his discussion with the media on Tuesday (which was streamed live) left the impression he thought Doc Rivers would be back to coach the Celtics this year.

“We sent him a letter saying that we expected him to be our coach and to fulfill his contract, to be our coach for three more years,” Ainge said. “That was our intention all along. That’s what we hoped he would do.”

That’s not what happened. Rivers saw a tough year in Boston followed by a rebuild, and in Los Angeles he saw a 56-win team, a division winner with room to grow. And he was interested.

“We had a conversation, him and I, as friends and partners the last nine years… we discussed the possibility of him getting the Clippers job,” Ainge recalled. “There were other teams that were interested in hiring Doc that we didn’t allow them to talk to Doc, that had inquired. But the Clippers was one that intrigued him a bit. I’m sure their young talent had a lot to do with that.”

It was clear as you watched Ainge that this pained him some — he and Rivers had a close relationship. Rivers was ready to move on, but Ainge clearly didn’t think that had to happen in the coaching ranks. But it did.

“He felt like it was time for a change,” Ainge said. “His opinion he shared with me, he felt like we all needed a change. That was his rationalization or justification. I don’t really feel like there should be resentment.”

Now, Rivers is coaching Chris Paul (once he re-signs, and he will) and the Clippers. So who is going to coach the Celtics?

Not Ainge.

“I’ve done that gig. I’m done with that,” Ainge said.

He dodged questions about who might be a replacement. He also dodged questions about the future of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett in Boston..

“I love Paul and KG,” Ainge said when asked if either would be back next season. “We haven’t made a decision on that. I’m not certain on any one of those decisions.”

Latest Posts
  1. USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried

Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.

2. Stephen Curry will not stand for ‘slander’ of his Under Armour shoes

Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.

3. Derrick Rose ‘fine’ with coming off the bench for Team USA

Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.

4. Pau Gasol shreds Brazil at FIBA World Cup (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

pau gasol spain olympics Getty Images

This should make Bulls fans extremely happy.

5. Anderson Varejao, entering contract year, says he wants to remain with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao AP

Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.

6. Timofey Mozgov not pushing to leave Nuggets in trade to Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao

Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)

7. Jodie Meeks wants to bring some Kobe Bryant work ethic to Detroit

Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.

8. Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen

9. FIBA World Cup Day 3 roundup: Pau Gasol drops 26 on Brazil as Spain looks dominant

Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao, Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.

10. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

11. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

12. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

13. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

14. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches